Live T-34/85 & flagged infantry

Yesterday I had the priviledge of watching how a T-34/85 was destroyed by toothpick-wielding Finns. Well, they had a Panzerfaust as well...

2564771.jpg

Here the Finnish officer is beating up a mad tank officer.

The reenactment wasn't a huge spectacle (only something like 12 men overall), but entertaining nevertheless. I hadn't seen a moving T-34 before.

What caught my attention was that the supporting infantry force's pointman had a red banner flying in a stick attached to his backgear. The announcer informed the audience that this was the usual Soviet method to coordinate advances and helped friendly airforces to recognise where the infantry was going.

I hadn't heard about this before. Is that true? I'd have hated to be the forwardmost footman and having to carry a big red & yellow "shoot me" sign on my back, but what didn't the proletarian hero do for Stalin...

I'll try to put some photos online when my friend who had a camera sends them to me.

[ March 20, 2006, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Originally posted by Sergei:

Yesterday I had the priviledge of watching how a T-34/85 was destroyed by toothpick-wielding Finns. Well, they had a Panzerfaust as well...

2564771.jpg

Here the Finnish officer is beating up a mad tank officer.

The reenactment wasn't a huge spectacle (only something like 12 men overall), but entertaining nevertheless. I hadn't seen a moving T-34 before.

What caught my attention was that the supporting infantry force's pointman had a red banner flying in a stick attached to his backgear. The announcer informed the audience that this was the usual Soviet method to coordinate advances and helped friendly airforces to recognise where the infantry was going.

I hadn't heard about this before. Is that true? I'd have hated to be the forwardmost footman and having to carry a big red & yellow "shoot me" sign on my back, but what didn't the proletarian hero do for Stalin...

I'll try to put some photos online when my friend who had a camera sends them to me.

Too bad the T-34 was painted in such soft colors and blends in so well. It's hard to see in the photo... :eek:

Originally posted by oi_you_nutter:

and only some of the Finns were issued tooth-picks as they wanted to keep the fight fair. :D

Soviet propaganda.

In fact the Finns were always short of toothpicks - had they had enough the "continuation war" would have been over by lunchtime!