Contour Maps

Making a contour map is actually quite easy - if you have PaintShop, or something like it that does layers.

1) Go in to the scen editor

2) Load the scen you're interested in

3) Go into the map editor

4) Ensure 'Height is ON'

5) Press "Print Scrn" (the key on the keyboard, not a button in the CM interface)

6) Start your drawing program

7) Paste your "Print Scrn" as a new layer or new image.

8) Create a new layer

9) Draw lines that 'connect the dots' at specific height intervals. Remember that good quality 1:50,000 maps only have contours every 20m, so there is no requirement for too many contour lines. In fact, depending on the step set in Map Contours of Parameters (in the Scen Editor) there may only be a couple of lines to draw.

10) Add other layers for other geographic features - roads, buildings, woods, etc.

11) Turn off the layer that had the screen capture from the scen editor on it.

12) Save as something useful, print it, and you're done smile.gif

Hmm. Ok, with 12 steps, 'easy' maybe isn't quite right. But it isn't hard, though it can be time consuming. I did it for my CMBB scenario "Pt 238", available at The Depot, and the map is included in the download there.

Regards

JonS

Very nice JonS, a bit tedious but not bad at all. I would be tempted to refine the contours a bit more, perhaps 10m intervals (more work but more telling). Depends what you want, realistic battle map or the best map to help approach unseen. Will be giving this a try. How long would you say you put into the PT238 topo map?

Thank you very much for sharing.