Model Viewer?

Hello kind folks,

With the vast surplus of exceedingly competent mods floating about, I begin to get very confused. Each one I look at looks so much nicer than the last, but then I wonder: what do the .bmp's I'm using now look like? Granted, if they're CMMOS mods, I can just fire up CMMOS and look at what's installed, but what if they're not?

Then I wondered if there was any way to quickly and easily view any particular model in the game without actually firing it up, selecting it in a quick scenario of the appropriate season, etc. and looking at it.

Would such a model viewer be terribly difficult to code for some lunatic out there?

Just an idea...

ianc

Yes a model viewer would be a pain to code up for anyone other than BTS.

First you would have to recreate all of the 3D models in CM, with the same dimensions and surfaces. Then you would have to code up the texture mapping for each model so that it would stretch and apply each texture appropriately, etc. It would be far too much effort to do this just to view the appearance of bitmaps.

Pretty much the only realistic way to do this is with an installation of CM and taking screenshots.

[ February 26, 2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Before CMMOS (or if you have a mac) the answer would simply be to open the bmp folder and click on the individual files, view them in pictureviewer!

But you'd need a pretty thorough bmp numbers list to be able to distinguish the BMP-5 hull side from the BMP-7 hull side. ;)

An alternative is to have a bit of forethought, do a bunch of 'scenarios for viewing' with a dozen different tanks per scenario. Last week I made an 'All T34' scenario with every T34 and SU type in the game (and there are lots!). It's been a REALLY big help keeping track of my work.

[ February 27, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I remember using CM mod manager with CMBO for viewing non-CMMOS mods. Im not sure if it works with CMBB or if there is a newer version available.

Im at work now so cant really check in any detail and am just working from memory.

As far as I know the author is 'TwoSheds' but im not sure if he is still supporting it.

As far as I remember it seemed to work well and could also manage sound mods and provided a way for mod authors to 'package' their mod.

Maybe it would help current mod makers or those converting mods to CMMOS to rename and package the bmp's. Anyway if you are interested that should be enough to point you in the right direction !

There is a link to a previous version here.

CM Mod Manager

There are still lots of mods out there that are not CMMOS ready, so if 'TwoSheds' reads this perhaps he could give us an update on Mod Manager ... does it support CMBB ?... what is the latest version.

lou2000