Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Enraged AI attacks over a bridge with lone OT34, destroys 5 German tanks.

What hit me. Was it lightning? Stalin Death Ray?

I was playing vs the AI, holding a bridge with three PZIIIJ's. Suddenly a lone T34 appears on the other side of the river proudly showing its slogan scribbled side to my overwatching tanks, shrugs off a few volleys from 230+ meters despite penetrations and then picks off my alarmed and soon horrified PZIII's, roasting the closest one with a flamer while speeding forwards over the bridge, takes a snapshot at a lone StuH42 speeding from cover to cover knocking out its tracks in mid air, sending it crashing against a house and routing the crew who abandon the vehicle, then knocks out a PZIVG sent in to smother the fire.

The next firebridage, using a feint and shoot & scoot is enable to knock the veteran monster out with two flank hits from a 75mm L43. The OT34 brews up spectacularly, but it still managed to single handedly cause half of the German casualties in a brutal urban battle.

Oh boy. I understand a T34 can indeed threaten a PZIIIJ, but the tank charged overwhelming odds with reckless abandon from an unfavourable position.

Can tanks become fanatic?

:(

Picture of the culprit with victim linenup:

OT34.jpg

The Vodka fueled OT34 from hell!

I think that tanks can be fanatics. I a current PBEM I have a T34 that has suffered multiple penetrations and lost its main gun. The sole surviving crew man still fires the MGs at passing German infantry and shows no sign of bailing.

Regards

A.E.B

was it a pre-built scenario?

do you have a save game file?

can I play that one too?

do you have a save or your starting line-up or opening move?

that sound too fanatastic to be true

do you think it would ever happen like that again?

thanks for the War Story and AAR

Very cool!

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

can I play that one too?

-tom w

It was premade, Armoured Boulevard (available at the scenario depot), a 3000 point armored non-historical ME battle in a very good urban map. For some reason two large armored units wage war in dense urban setting with very few infantry units on the map (well, that DID happen but rarely). I had nothing much to do and heard it was fun so I played it vs the AI to kill time. Of course it wasn't hard but OT34 En Fuego spiced up the fun somewhat.

Perhaps you could recreate the action if you tried 100 times... No save games from those fatal minutes.

I think the AI has something against PzIIIs. I played a Quickbattle over the weekend. Three crack platoons of PzIIIs, solid infantry support, favorable terrain, but a handful of the AI's T34-76s still came very near to wiping the floor with me. I finally managed to get the last killer T34 with a rear shot at under 80m. Whew!

ok thanks

was that "Armour on the Boulevard"?

I have played that one but never against the AI.

Thanks for the prompt reply smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by Ligur:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

can I play that one too?

-tom w

It was premade, Armoured Boulevard (available at the scenario depot), a 3000 point armored non-historical ME battle in a very good urban map. For some reason two large armored units wage war in dense urban setting with very few infantry units on the map (well, that DID happen but rarely). I had nothing much to do and heard it was fun so I played it vs the AI to kill time. Of course it wasn't hard but OT34 En Fuego spiced up the fun somewhat.

Perhaps you could recreate the action if you tried 100 times... No save games from those fatal minutes. </font>

My advice to you is that you save the game file and frame it because that's a pretty freak'n rare moment of heroic discipline for the AI.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find the AI is generally pretty lame on the offense, especially when playing the ruskies. More than once, I've played a defensive game against the AI only to have the time run out with the AI never even attempting to approach the victory locations. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that tanks can go "fanatic"

That seems to be what happened to a pzkwIVH in one of my games once.

The tank commander got killed,then the tank went berserk. It took out tanks and infantry left and right...and shrugged off a constant hail of ATR fire.

It survived the game,and ended up with over 200 infantry kills and 7 vehicle kills.