How big is a Battalion, Re-enforced Battalion?

I mean how many men, tanks, support units etc would you find in one? for Germany and Russia in WW2 that is.

I have been to sites like Feldgrau.com and there are interesting breakdowns of what divisions etc consist of but nowhere can I find the actual figures of the number of men and material in these different sized units.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Gian

[ July 31, 2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Gian ]

Generic answer (this depends on the time of the war and what sort of battalion you talk about), one battalion consists of:

3x rifle company

1x heavy weapon company (HMG and mortars)

This should get you about 7-800 men, at full strength.

Reinforced could be anything, it depends on what it is being reinforced with. Possibilities could be:

another rifle company

a tank company

an assault gun company/battery

a tank battalion

an assault gun battalion

guns from the regimental gun company

pioneers

guns from the divisional artillery regiment

an AT gun battery

all of the above

This is very much mission specific and also depends on what would kind of stuff be around to reinforce the battalion with. In most cases, you can expect some extra guns/mortars from regiment, and maybe some AT guns from regiment as well. Any regimental attachments are easy. It gets more difficult the higher up the assets you want to get are attached. So e.g. Stug Abteilungen were usually Heerestruppen in the Wehrmacht, meaning that you were lucky to have one under command as a battalion commander. The same goes for 17cm gun spotters.

Cheers

That was very informative and yep i forgot about looking in the game itself when you can look at the composition about units.

Just whish we had it printed somewhere too. I have been reading so many books lately and they always talk about division this, regiment that, corps there. I could't really appreciate how many men and material were involved in these formations.

Gives a good insight to the scale of operations.

Regards

Gian

[ July 31, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Gian ]

Over the years, I have encountered a number of books that give the kind of TO&E information you are looking for. I don't know how many are still in print. I believe the US Army printed up some field manuals during and after the war with fairly complete information. You might try the US Army Center of Military History and see what they have. Patiently searching through used book stores may turn up quite a bit of information as well. Other countries should also have similar resources. For instance, in the UK there is the Imperial War Museum.

On thing to keep in mind though is that these are all authorized strengths. Actual organizations in the field could vary quite a bit, especially if a unit had taken casualties of any sort. They could also be over-strength, but that was less common.

Michael

These things changed over the course of the war as well. I was just reading that a typical German (heer) infantry division consisted of some 17,000 men at the beginning of the war, but by November of 1944, newly formed infantry divisions had only about 13,000 men. Apparently the number of battalions per division were reduced, although I don't recall the exact number.

Hi Lars

Thanks, that link was very usefull. I made a quick mission yesterday and chose a whole battalion with some extra units using 5000 points and I have top say (*&%&(*&% there were allot of units!!!!!

My poor machine takes ages to process the turns. So untill I get a more powerfull machine, I have to stick to smaller actions.

Regards

Gian

Going through my library a little while ago I came across a book of TO&Es that I've had and used for a long while. It is long out of print, but in the back it contained a useful bibliography. Some government publications you might look for are:

"Handbook on Italian Military Forces TM30-420"

"Handbook on USSR Military Forces TM30-430"

I'm sure that if you find those, you will also find equivalent publications for the other armies you might have an interest in.

Michael