Best mix of AT guns?

Originally posted by JasonC:

so realism is banned if you play gamey competitive ladder types who never let go of their uberStuG security blanket, and yeah that means you have to use gamey counters like the Val IX. But it stinks as a solution.

I generally agree.

Other option if gamey opponent and rarity is off is to buy german captured armor...

I have bought a platoon of captured Panthers - with rarity on - and it was very gratifying to speedily occupy the high central position dealing death to his force of Stugs!

He was most put out : ) Funnily enough i also could afford a platoon of Stuarts who on a huge map were able to get behind his line of advance --- really bad news for Stugs.

Rarity, while a nice addition to the game, does have some funkiness since it only takes into account rarity vs. other similar types *of the same combatant*, not rarity vs. opponents' weapons.

So, while there were ballpark as many Russian 57mm ATGs as Tiger Is produced, 57mm ATGs get a *much* higher rarity bacause overall the number of Russian ATGs was so high, while the overall number of German tanks was actually pretty low.

Another problem is that some of the weapons that Russians used to combat "Big Cats," like 122mm and even 152mm howitzers/guns in the direct fire mode, aren't available at all in CM.

Overall, I find that the rarity system adds little in the way of fairness to the game, and almost inevitably pushes things towards very predictable armor vs. gun matchups, such as StuG vs. T-34. For myself, I prefer to play with rarity off. However, when playing QBs (which I don't do often) I also only play against opponents who I can trust to stick to an agreement to keep force selection within reasonable bounds of historical plausibility.

Cheers,

YD