ROQC is back much improved - testers wanted

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have contact with two others who play and give feedback. There are others who have said they will try it.

That's not a lot, but it's a whole lot better than 0 or 1. I knew from the start that this concept wouldn't appeal to everyone, so I'm quite satisfied with this response, in particular as I do in fact receive a lot of valuable feedback.

Atiff,

Yes, I'm play testing. Using Russian Infantry as my core force. I just ran up against a nasty Fit, Crack, +100% handicap vs. Weakened Regs (both full ammo)in a 400 pt, Flat (what else), open, Town Axis Probe. I scored an 82% victory causing 80% casualties to them while having only 20% casualties to my side. All of this netted me 7 Favor (6 pts. came from the Victory) as only .4pts Favor for all the kills I made...effectively 0 Favor for that part. Lost tons of Experience. I've sent all the data to Rob with some suggestions. I'm progressively going backwards at this point. Apr of 43 and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Conscripts abound with more on the horizon.

Reality sucks!

jt

Hey jt,

As you may have seen from AAR's above, I'm battling as Germans from June 41. Actually at March 42 now, managed to skip over winter with only 2 battles so it didn't hurt much at all (in fact, they were two of my best wins, even against Veteran Guards units).

I've been having a few discussions with Rob about the favour issue, using my half-dozen or so battles as samples, and there will be a 0.92 version out soon with significant changes to favour calculation (more of it, in some cases). I really like the direction things are heading, hoping to keep helping with more input.

I have been working on that Favor issue. The main problem seems to be that with reasonable favor values, the available forces in e.g. a 900 point game don't generate all that many Favor points. I'd rather not skew it so much that you could get 100 favor just from killing AFV's of you were lucky enough to run into a bunch of them, or so that you could get 100 favor from destroying a human wave attack.

JAT's recent report delayed 0.92 a bit, as I'm trying to factor in the quality of the troops you're opposing, as well as differentiating favor from vehicle kills (and to some extent experience) according to the type of vehicle. But I'm getting close now to something that at least bears testing.

Version 0.92 is out here.

Lots of detailed changes, particularly in the Favor and Experience department. You should accumulate more experience now, and the veteran / crack limits have been reduced.

I just hope I haven't gone overboard giving you Favor, but then there's still a fair number of digits left before I hit version 1.0 :) I think it's better than it was.

Detailed changelog in no particular order:

Replacement experience table changed to allow for higher experience, albeit with small probability.

Formulas for purchase limits added to 26 in the Battle Sheet.

Fitness table changed slightly.

Hills table modified to reduce chance of flat terrain and remove Flat/Open combinations.

Force purchase handicap decreased a bit, and a max handicap value has been set based on player experience.

Experience limits changed so it is easier to make Veteran or Crack status.

Units get more experience for causing infantry casualties. This will in particular increase the experience accumulation for infantry squads. Note that some of the casualty base values have been changed. Be sure to check the values used by your core force if you have an ongoing campaign.

A random percentage of a unit?s casualties are now allowed to return to the unit between battles, as these are considered to have light wounds that can be fixed between the battles.

Clarification of transfer rule (6.2.1). A transfer is only supposed to happen to a unit that has been eliminated.

You can now spend Favor to affect the die roll for the experience of your replacements.

Tweaked the replacement experience table.

A few changes to the Battle Type table (5).

Favor calculation changed radically. Check it out.

There is now a differentiation between vehicle types in favor and experience calculations.

Let me hear what you think.

Hi Rob,

Taken a look over the 0.92 Rules here at work. Looks like a good set of modifications, personally I am happy with everything you have changed - a big thumbs up!

(Especially the change in experience levels for becoming Veteran and Crack - suddenly my tankers find out tyhey are Veterans smile.gif )

Will do more battles ASAP and get the results to you.

Updated to 0.93. Get it here.

I know it's soon after the previous update, but I found a few things I wanted to change:

Core Force upgrades now based on the cost of Regular units.

Favor distribution changed a bit for Advance, Delay and Hold orders.

Updated Favor calculation for Losses and Kills.

Changed cost of adding units to your core force from triple to twice the editor cost.

None of this should stop you from continuing an ongoing campaign.

Originally posted by Andrew Kulin:

Hey Robert.

Do you work for HP, Canon, Epson, etc.? You know, for their Inkjet Printer Cartridge Divisions?

Andrew

No :confused:

Are you alluding to the amount of paper my campaign produces? It shouldn't be that bad. If you use the spreadsheet directly, then the amount of bytes should exceed the amount of pages rather quickly ;)

Lesson number 1: Better make it too difficult (i.e. challenging) than too easy (i.e. boring). Thanks, JAT.

Lesson number 2: Don't change the rules too often, or people wil lrun out of printer ink. Thanks, Andrew.

That said, I'm about to disregard the second lesson. I have changed the Favor calculation a good deal, roughly halving the amount you got from 0.93. Get v0.94 here. I won't be able to update the pdf files until I get to work, unless one of you can do the conversion for me. Feel free to email me the files if you can.

The good news, Andrew, is that you only have to print the section concerning Favor (5.6). tongue.gif The rest is unchanged from 0.93.

My current goal is to balance the Favor calculation, then deal with Experience. And deal with any minor problems that arise ofc.

No need to change your current campaign, just start using these rules from the end of your current battle, when you get to favor calculation.

And keep sending me spreadsheets.

[ August 15, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Robert Olesen ]

I'm going away for a few days. I don't know how long, as my father most likely has decided that it is time to pass on one of these days.

Don't worry, it's certainly time. He has had a long, active and eventful life and is in pain and not able to do very much on hos own any more.

I'll not respond to emails while I'm away but I might pop in here from time to time. This was one reason why I decoded to publish 0.94 so soon.

Keep sending those files.

Rob, Very sorry to hear about your father. My best to you my friend and may your and your fathers pains ease very soon.

Re: ROQC - You've done a masterful job with v.94 The upgrades are awesome and working beautifully. The battles are difficult and the tallies are very representative and fair. I want to repeat that the tallies are very representative. As of now, I have two sheets for you as proof. I can't believe that I barely pulled out a tactical win for 11 Favor in an ME with equal strength, equal troop quality, then pull out a total victory against an Enemy Assault at +75% strength. The thing that I like the most is after (and during) rolling for the values on the Battle sheet, I am on a roller coaster ride of Oh boy! I get full ammo to total dismay when rolling enemy forces +75%. Going into battles like the assaults, gives me a 'how can I possibly win' feeling, then when winning, having a feeling of pulling off a miracle and then to be justly rewarded for my actions. Superb model, Rob, SUPERB!

Take care, see you when you get back.

jt

I'm back. My dad pulled through and is apparently stable, though he has lost most of his maneuverability. He can barely move his legs and has trouble controlling his arms. But his mood is fine when he's not too tired.

Thanks a lot for the praise :D

It warms my heart.

I used the free time to read more of "Barbarossa" by Alan Clark, and that inspired me to change the way Operational Orders translate to battles a bit - so that you can get (with a small probability) a defensive battle under offensive orders or vice versa (counterattacks, which appear to be quite frequent). I also got quite far in implementing the Northern and Central region.

Thanks for the files you sent. Keep 'em coming. JAT, why are you sitting on yours? ;)

I was thinking about the other regions (eg, Central, North, etc) and wondering if you have thought of including a (perhaps optional) die roll for switching regions for the next battle. This would have the effect of (a) giving you slightly different units to play with (not many Romanians outside the southern region?) and (B) different weather and map types (not as much snow or forest in the Ukraine).

Eg, In August you were fighting in the Ukraine, but then in September you get moved north for the new offensive, etc.

Perhaps a simple dice roll 1d6: 1 move one region south, 6 move one region north, 2-5 nothing.

Comments?

Yes, I think switching regions should be possible. It did happen, after all, esp. for the Panzers. Not sure about the Soviets, but I don't see why they shouldn't have done it. My gut feeling is that it should be voluntary, probably with a time limit to keep you from switching back and forth - something like having to stay 6 months for infantry or 3 months for armor.

But I need to get the rules in place for the other regions first. They should be ready for 0.95, as I don't want to publish a new version every other day ;)

I have a plan for suggesting a PanzerGruppe Guderian campaign, giving you a ride from Poland to Moscow June to December 1941, or perhaps extend it a bit further. It would use the basic rules for the Central region with a few modifications - no set battles with fixed times and maps, as that is not my force.

It's so easy to come up with sexy German campaign suggestions. I'm interested in good suggestions for Soviet campaigns.

I have made a change that you should start using right away:

When upgrading a unit or adding a unit to your core force you must add the rarity cost to the cost of the new unit. So, a unit that cost e.g. 48 points with a rarity of 10% will have a cost when upgrading of 58 points.

Rarity still does not apply to the cost of your core force itself. So, the example unit above will have a cost of 48 once it's part of your core force. This is because I don't want your the value of your outdated core force unit to inflate as they become more and more rare.