A silly CMX2 request or a CMBB/CMAK Mod

It may sound pretty petty (it is), but the colored bases in CM are kinda ugly. Once in a while I find it necessary to view the game at realistic scale and have to use the bases to see units. Just as a matter of aesthetics, I would think that they would look much better if they were round instead of square.

I'm pretty sure that the squares can't be made into circles via a mod because they're probably hard coded, but what's the harm in asking? While I'm at it, why don't I ask that the bases look like muted national insignias or flags? I'm mad, mad I tell you! So what if the units disappear in the pattern of the insignias? I told you I was crazy! Where's my Prozac?

I think the first priority of bases is that they be clearly and unambiguously visible to the player. Else why have them on at all? Following that, they can be prettified to whatever extent is deemed desirable. But they should never be confusing to the eye.

BTW, just for the record, I play at realistic scale and bases on all the time.

Michael

Originally posted by Tweety:

I keep hoping for different scales for vehicles and guns then infantry. While the vehicles start getting rediculeously big on +2 or higher, it's hard to keep track of infantry below +2 magnification.

That's a really great idea! Why didn't I think of that...

The main reason that I sometimes have to switch to Realistic scale is so I can see exactly where vehicles/bunkers are in relationship to buildings/obstacles. Having vehicles at realistic scale, and then infantry units at a larger and more visible scale would be the perfect match.

I still contend that round bases would look better though smile.gif

[ August 06, 2003, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Noiseman ]

My guess is recoding the bases is about as high on BFC's list of things to do as working wristwatches for the troops.

Still, round bases would be (slightly) more esthetically pleasing. If I could convince them to rework any hard-coded art I'd go for the aircraft shadows! Stuka shadow that looked like stukas would be... (slightly) more esthetically pleasing.

You play the game at other than true-scale? I'm shocked! I only up-scale my forces if I occassionally lose track of troops in the woods! Other than that it's 1:1 3-D all the way.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

My guess is recoding the bases is about as high on BFC's list of things to do as working wristwatches for the troops. Still, round bases would be (slightly) more esthetically pleasing.

You play the game at other than true-scale? I'm shocked! I only up-scale my forces if I occassionally lose track of troops in the woods! Other than that it's 1:1 3-D all the way.

I guess this begs a general question for all forum members: What scale do you play at?

Personally I'm usually a +2 man with bases off. If Tweety's unit type scaling idea was adopted I'd go: realistic vehicles/bunkers, +2 infantry with bases off. Of course I will use bases in heavy woods etc. That's a given for everybody.