How do I induce the AI to use preparatory artillery?

I mentioned the scenario "Fire from Heaven", where I trried to play on the German side against the AI.

Possible Spoiler:

There was a preparatory fire from all artillery batteries the British had into an, actually two areas which cannot be seen by the AI (a night scenario in a forest). Both fire lanes lie on two streets running North to South, behind my forward lines and my main battle positions, and near to some lone VL on those streets. This way the fire blocked only both streets for the whole duration of the bombardment. I tried to copy the situation in some test-scenarios, but had no luck.

In an actual QB on a custom-made map the AI fires prep with all batteries (guessed 76mm, 122mm and some really huge craters - 240mm or more). The rounds hit the outer ring of buildings (ignoring small clusters of small or light buildings) and a crossroads leading out of town.

OTOH the AI often fires prep just in front of flags. It might fit this pattern, too - but it looked like the heavies was some traffic interdiction (rounds falling every other minute).

Well placed flags I guess :D

Another guess is that the AI likes to fire prep on short scens if there are (likely) enemy held flags (=AI on the attack). Something like "If the reaction time is bigger than the scen length, fire prep". I had a 44+ scen with the AI on the defense. In the end, there were two heavy batteries with a counter of 36 minutes left. The QB above has just 32 turns. Dunno if one bty firing prep equals all firing prep.

Spotted enemy units are an arty magnet, too. If you want to simulate a prep barrage, make sure the AI can spot units (forward snipers). For the players sake, give the AI not too much arty or some as reinforcement. And make sure the AI only sees the edges of setup zones to punish forward deployment in one tight pack.

Gruß

Joachim

VLs are the key.

The lenght of the scenarios seems to be important.

But as artillery-'baits' only heavy equipment, like tanks, trucks or guns are "effective".

The AI tends to bring all its guns against only one spot, so the next topic would be:

Who do I induce the AI to use preparatory rolling barrages over the whole frontline? ;)

The AI baits for anything it can spot. Immobile inf is hard to spot before turn 1.

Hm... the arty is coming down in different places in my current QB. 3 places if I count correctly.

A planned rolling barrage? Several guns targetting different locations? With delays? Most times you start the scen? BRWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Use the casualty setting, different setup zones, padlocked setup and suppression/exhaustion level to simulate this.

Gruß

Joachim