Reference pictures - BLUE DIVISION uniforms

Hello,

They usually wear it in the blue shirt under the uniform. The arrows and the yoke is the simbol of the "Falange", a party founded by the politician Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera, who was killed by the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War. The simbol was called the "Yugo y las Flechas" (the arrows and the yoke).

Sin novedad en el Alcazar!

(That was a popular greeting among the soldiers of the Blue Division).

P.d. Great site about the "Grossdeutschland". I also enjoyed very much your scenarios. Thanks

Buenos dias

Mike T has done a cool mod already with summer and two winter sets ( including makeshift winter camo using blankets in 41) posted at the MOD database. He went into further detail adding very useful info on the division for scenario designers , I am waiting for him to get it CMMOSized.

Small wolrd , the authors of the book are two good friends of my brother's. They live in Toledo, Spain. Sometime 10 years ago they decided to honor a promise made to their grandma on her deathbed ( or so the story goes smile.gif )and set forth to repatriate his KIA uncle buried in Chutiny?? and in the process they got involved in helping others repatriate corpses of relatives KIA in Russia serving for the Wehrmacht (I am not sure about the other side though, ), the book is an account of the trips to Russia...darn now I will have to call them and ask for a copy and read it :D

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I never knew about the yoke and arrows badge before.

It was not the only badge used. Some soldiers also wore the S.E.U. badge (Sindicato Español Universitario, a Falangist trade union for universitarian students and professors.) The "Yoke and Arrows" Badge (btw it was Isabella and Ferdinand's symbol, chosen in the late 15th century to express the unity of the kingdoms of Castille and Aragon) was worn as a cloth badge or a metallic one. Nowadays the most coveted "Yoke and Arrows" metallic badge is the badge included in the "Christmas Box" sent to each soldier during the 41/42 winter. The package icluded two badges in fact, a small and a larger one. The small ones was worn in the cap or over the arm shield, while the larger one was worn on a breast pocket. I'm fortunate enough to have both in my collection :D Lots of other similar "Yoke and Arrow" badges were also used before, during and after the war.

A comment about the Dragon figure in Blue Division uniform:

In July 1941, the division got M40 tunics (field grey tunic collar) instead of the M36 one(dark green tunic collar) the figure is wearing in the pic. Afterwards the replacements got M42 ones (non-pleated pockets with pointed pocket flaps.) There are pics of men from the Blue Legion wearing M43 jackets (non-pointed pocket flaps,) but it seems they were never issued to the division.

The "guripas" (Spanish word for "Landser" or "G.I.") were never issued with jackboots. They got ankle boots and gaiters.

HOWEVER, Spaniards liked M36 tunics very much, so most of them tried to get one and it seem a sizeable number of them actually managed to get it, but it was usually worn as a dress tunic in the reaguard.

Spaniards, like Germans, also liked jackboots very much. It seem they also managed to get lots of them. I remember a pic of an armed picket in a military cemetary in Russia where all the men are wearing jackboots.