Need assault suggestions—PLEASE!

I need some good suggestions on defeating my partner so I can obtain the expensive sword trophy that is given to whom wins 3 out 5 games. The scenario is “Assualt on Perano” which is on the CMAK cd. We are allowed to select our own forces. My opponent is allow to use up to 1600 credits for the Axis (defending) and I’m allowed 3200 credits for Allieds (attacking). My opponent is pretty good and I have no ideal on what forces he may select but I certain he will have artillery. Here are my questions:

1. What forces should I select?

2. What way should I attack?

3. Any other special tricks to implement (i.e. assault deception?)

Thanks to all who respond.

You might get some more specific suggestions if you have more information about the conditions of your match.

Specifically, are you keeping all aspects of the scenario design other than OOB the same? IOW, are you still playing September 1943, clear conditions, 25 turn battle, with the same setup zones?

These details make a big difference. In the original Assault on Perano scenario, on of the challenges for the Attacker is overcoming a rather short time limit. You need to move quickly into the village if you're going to gain the VLs before time runs out.

Also, can you select any Allied nationality, or are your restricted to British kit as in the original scenario? And what kind of rarity are you playing with?

In general, I would go with lots of Artillery for Allies attacking on this map (as is usually true for Allies!) -- a mix of small stuff for smoke screens, and big stuff to root Germans out of defensive positions. I would also buy a healthy number of on-map mortars and sharpshooters to deal with ATGs since there are some very good overwatch positions not to far from the allied setup zones that have LOS to most of the German defensive area.

One X factor you need to consider is what you will do if your opponent decides to take the risk of buying Big Cats - Panthers or Tigers. It's a risk for him since these tanks are very expensive and he buying even a couple of them will severely reduce the number of points he has to spend elsewhere. OTOH, the Allies have relatively few weapons that can kill the Big Cats frontally in 1943.

Post some more specifics, and I'll give you some further ideas.

Cheers,

YD

Thanks coldmeter for the suggestion.

YankeeDog,

Thanks for replying. Yes, everything else is the same as the original scenario. The time frame, the turns, conditions (keep in mind there is an overcast for weather), and the setup zones are all the same as the original scenario. We agreed that we are free to select any forces thus I’m not bound to any nationality—I can mix my force. I like your suggestion on the artillery. I think in my initial moves artillery, speed, positioning and support is the key factor for victory. I like the suggestion on using small artillery for smoke and large for explosives.

Very good point on the X factor. He is too smart to go that route. He has to deal with too many attacking positions to do that. I think I have an ideal on my attack. One last question? Where do you think I should attack from? Thanks for all of your suggestions.