Artillery

I can tell you though, one basic mistake that many beginners do is to think that your artillery has the biggest effect when you drop it on your enemy. That is totally wrong. When your barrage falls on your enemy, it maybe pins the enemy down and causes some light casualties. But if you drop that same barrage on your own troops, the effects are usually far greater. So for getting the most bang out of your artillery, use it against your own infantry.

That advantage would depend on the situation. Soviets were great on preparing for large scale offensives, but that kind of stuff is out of the scope of CM scenarios - not much point in watching a barrage that lasts for two hours followed by Red infantry taking over abandoned positions. In most cases these things are considered to have already taken place, hence the craters, casualties etc. when you start a scenario. By the time the attack begins, the focus of the artillery would have moved to the rear, to disrupt reserves.

After a breakthrough was made, however, moving all that artillery and the munitions the artillery needed posed a problem, made worse by the condition of roads - what was not blown or mined by retreating Germans, would be turned into a quagmire by the attack columns. For Russians to regain that advantage, they would have to halt the attack.

I could point you to my battle "Niet Molotoff!" which features a brief realistic-sized Finnish artillery barrage from 1944. It's very powerful (in fact, that barrage kills something like a quarter of the defenders).

Originally posted by Sergei:

I could point you to my battle "Niet Molotoff!" which features a brief realistic-sized Finnish artillery barrage from 1944. It's very powerful (in fact, that barrage kills something like a quarter of the defenders).

I can attest to that. I am currently playing this scenario as the Russians and that initial barrage is devastating.

Lascar

We are on turn 37 and I have prevented the Finns from breaking through my lines but I am dangerously thin in places with squads of one or two men holding 50 to 100 meters of the line. I don't think my opponent realizes the extent to which my platoons have been weakened or else he would be pushing through those sectors very aggressively. FOW is my ally.

The initial artillery barrage was quite demoralizing. Three tanks suffered gun damage, the OT-34 was immobilized and many platoons were decimated. Those tree bursts were particularly murderous. I thought the barrage would never end; it was one of worst I have experienced playing CM.

Good thing for the timely arrival of the reserve companies, otherwise the Finns would have cracked my line by now.

So far an interesting and intense battle.

Lascar

I took Axis during "Panic at Gela" against a human player as well. Oh the horror... I took ten times more casualties than he did. Plucky little Yanks.

Any scenario's out there besides the Finnish one already mentioned (will have to check it out) that utilize some really large scale artillery barrages? It's so rare that I see anything higher than 150mm these days.