Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Questions.....

On the defense I give MG's 180 degree full range arcs. I'd rather fire and disrupt an advance than keep ammo. And I've never really ran out.

I use the MG's to keep the enemy at arms length for as long as possible, and to strip infantry off tanks etc.

But the major use is that it makes your opponent go to cover for all the advance. This will eventually become woods of some sort, and woods plus TRP's and arty (!<120mm) will destroy as well as slow down. So you're giving a choice really, walk out of cover and pin from MG fire or bunch into cover and have a fire mission on the way.

Another nice surprise is wire in the tree line that faces your positions. Hopefully by this point your opponent will be bunched into the woods opposite and can't go out the sides due to the MG's, can't stay in because of the arty and can't advance because of the wire.

Works for me.

I've found this to be the best approach.

I note small arms and HE blast have different effects on units in various terrain types.

My question revolves around the 1/2 way house, the 12.7mm and .5" machine-guns.

Do these fare better than rifle/pistol calibre small arms at dealing with cover? (They should to a degree.) Or are they treated as a form of HE for cover calculation purposes? (Presumably this is why ATR's are given a blast of 1. Is the same true for the DShK/M2?)

Cheers.

Grach - 50 cals are given higher fp ratings for their rate of fire. That and the ability to hurt light armor are really all you get. ATRs and 20-25mm AA, on the other hand, fire as "HE" but with tiny "blast" ratings, 1 to 4. So low they generally only pin, but cover works against them like other HE. The game had to put the dividing line somewhere, and chose to put 50s with infantry fire and larger with cannon fire.