Two Questions (Issues) with FO's

1) FO Retreat

"Normal" FO's move slower than normal troops (Movement class Slow). Probably to lay the cable. That's ok with me. What I don't understand is, that they also do so when they have shot their full ammo allocation.

Here the situation. In an operation I defend and have a FO in a very forward position to fire against advancing enemy troops. All ammo spend the FO should retreat to fight again in the next battle. But the guy still moves "Slow". Why ? On a retreat the guys would just take their phone and run. Leave the cable where it is. What can I do ?

2) Slower Fire Rate

(Maybe a - late - proposal for CMAK). I miss the option for a slower fire rate with artillery (e.g. using harrassment fire). Currently it is only possible to use the fire missions "Destroy" and "Smoke" (eventually with a large firing area). There should also be a "Harrassment" fire mission, where the guns would fire with a slower rate and therefore the ammo would last longer. This is needed in delaying action or when I want the enemy to keep his heads down. Good idea?

1) FO Retreat

"Normal" FO's move slower than normal troops (Movement class Slow). Probably to lay the cable. That's ok with me. What I don't understand is, that they also do so when they have shot their full ammo allocation.

Here the situation. In an operation I defend and have a FO in a very forward position to fire against advancing enemy troops. All ammo spend the FO should retreat to fight again in the next battle. But the guy still moves "Slow". Why ? On a retreat the guys would just take their phone and run. Leave the cable where it is. What can I do ?

2) Slower Fire Rate

(Maybe a - late - proposal for CMAK). I miss the option for a slower fire rate with artillery (e.g. using harrassment fire). Currently it is only possible to use the fire missions "Destroy" and "Smoke" (eventually with a large firing area). There should also be a "Harrassment" fire mission, where the guns would fire with a slower rate and therefore the ammo would last longer. This is needed in delaying action or when I want the enemy to keep his heads down. Good idea?

2) Good idea

At the moment, arty fires normally after 1,2,3 etc minutes, but they fire sometimes 50 % of the shells in 1 turn.

I would like to have a 30 second add option so the arty fires after 1 1/2, 2 1/2 etc min so you can fire smaller ammo loads, this is especially nice when you have short delays ( 88 mm mortars or with TRP's )

Monty

2) Good idea

At the moment, arty fires normally after 1,2,3 etc minutes, but they fire sometimes 50 % of the shells in 1 turn.

I would like to have a 30 second add option so the arty fires after 1 1/2, 2 1/2 etc min so you can fire smaller ammo loads, this is especially nice when you have short delays ( 88 mm mortars or with TRP's )

Monty

Originally posted by winkelried:

1) FO Retreat

Did you use fast move or withdraw?

1) FO Retreat

Did you use fast move or withdraw?

They exhaust after a few meters of fast or withdraw.

I think BFC cannot easily change the speed class of a unit on the fly, otherwise it would be a good idea to have the wire spotters switch to a fast unit when ammo is empty and maybe even give them an "abondon position" command which frees them. They would lose the battery (the rest of the ammo) but at least you can prevent hem from getting killed or captured.

I'm not sure it was a good idea to introduce the very slow wire FOs in CMBB as long as no mechanism is provided to extract them later.

They exhaust after a few meters of fast or withdraw.

I think BFC cannot easily change the speed class of a unit on the fly, otherwise it would be a good idea to have the wire spotters switch to a fast unit when ammo is empty and maybe even give them an "abondon position" command which frees them. They would lose the battery (the rest of the ammo) but at least you can prevent hem from getting killed or captured.

I'm not sure it was a good idea to introduce the very slow wire FOs in CMBB as long as no mechanism is provided to extract them later.

On a retreat the guys would just take their phone and run. Leave the cable where it is.

Unless the situation was truly dire, leaving cable behind would get you shot in some armies. Copper was a scarce resource. Even the US, which by world standards had plenty of the stuff, had to issue steel pennies in 1943 because of a shortage of copper. The Oak Ridge nuclear seperation facility had to borrow several tons of silver from the US Treasury to wire some of their equipment because there was not enough copper to be had. One of the things things the US sent Lend Lease to the USSR was copper, because they were even worse off than we were.

Have I made my point yet? :D

FOs (or more accurately their assistants) always rewound their cable when changing location. If you want your FO to live to fight another day, better start him out early.

Michael

On a retreat the guys would just take their phone and run. Leave the cable where it is.

Unless the situation was truly dire, leaving cable behind would get you shot in some armies. Copper was a scarce resource. Even the US, which by world standards had plenty of the stuff, had to issue steel pennies in 1943 because of a shortage of copper. The Oak Ridge nuclear seperation facility had to borrow several tons of silver from the US Treasury to wire some of their equipment because there was not enough copper to be had. One of the things things the US sent Lend Lease to the USSR was copper, because they were even worse off than we were.

FOs (or more accurately their assistants) always rewound their cable when changing location. If you want your FO to live to fight another day, better start him out early.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I got the message. Didn't know about the copper thing, so I have to be a bit more prevoyant as a commander, or my politruk will write some ugly things in his report :D ...

I got the message. Didn't know about the copper thing, so I have to be a bit more prevoyant as a commander, or my politruk will write some ugly things in his report :D ...

And a squad of very tough-looking guys from headquarters will insist on you accompanying them out behind the barn.

;)

Michael

I am lucky though ... the politruk just left me the choice to get shot for loosing the FO or leaving the cable behind. A real friend. smile.gif

And a squad of very tough-looking guys from headquarters will insist on you accompanying them out behind the barn.

;)

Michael

I am lucky though ... the politruk just left me the choice to get shot for loosing the FO or leaving the cable behind. A real friend. smile.gif

A minor target correction can get the effect you desire on spacing out the rounds. Just retarget a few meters and the delay will do it. But, your point is a good one and I would prefer to be able to control the number of rounds.

In regards to retrieving wire: should the FO be forced to retrace his route once his rounds are expended?

Edited because spering ib e guibe ta memtal demamgement.

[ July 31, 2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Pfc Driscole James E ]

A minor target correction can get the effect you desire on spacing out the rounds. Just retarget a few meters and the delay will do it. But, your point is a good one and I would prefer to be able to control the number of rounds.

In regards to retrieving wire: should the FO be forced to retrace his route once his rounds are expended?

Edited because spering ib e guibe ta memtal demamgement.

[ July 31, 2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Pfc Driscole James E ]

Originally posted by Pfc Driscole James E:

A minor target correction can get the effect you desire on spacing out the rounds. Just retarget a few meters and the delay will do it.

I don't think that the target correction does the job. The delay would be too long to effectively keep the infantry pinned (I believe).

In the army we used the "Harrassing" mission quite often, to get enemy infantry to advance more carefully (thus slower) or tanks/APC to close their hatches. The arty / mortars would fire just a few shots every minute. Would be nice in CM, wouldn't it: one or the other squad getting into "Pinned", the tank commanders getting their head down - the ATG would be difficult to spot :D

Then the "Suppress" mission would be used, if you wanted the guys just to keep their heads down. The arty / mortars would fire at a reduced rate, although on a more regular basis than with the "Harrassment" mission. In CMBB he squads would be continually pinned.

And then naturally we would use the "Destroy" or "Smoke" missions, as we know them already in BB.

A minor target correction can get the effect you desire on spacing out the rounds. Just retarget a few meters and the delay will do it.

I don't think that the target correction does the job. The delay would be too long to effectively keep the infantry pinned (I believe).

In the army we used the "Harrassing" mission quite often, to get enemy infantry to advance more carefully (thus slower) or tanks/APC to close their hatches. The arty / mortars would fire just a few shots every minute. Would be nice in CM, wouldn't it: one or the other squad getting into "Pinned", the tank commanders getting their head down - the ATG would be difficult to spot :D

Then the "Suppress" mission would be used, if you wanted the guys just to keep their heads down. The arty / mortars would fire at a reduced rate, although on a more regular basis than with the "Harrassment" mission. In CMBB he squads would be continually pinned.

And then naturally we would use the "Destroy" or "Smoke" missions, as we know them already in BB.

Heh, there's a good point.

I think we can live with a little abstraction on this issue, eh?

Heh, there's a good point.

I think we can live with a little abstraction on this issue, eh?

Well my real life artilery experance consists of reading SciFi novels in the radar transmitter room while the 5 inch 38s were blasting Bloodsworth Island in the Chesepeak bay.

But in the game I find that retargeting works well enough for now. I too would prefer to have a harrassing fire command or to set the number of rounds to be fireed in one turn.

Well my real life artilery experance consists of reading SciFi novels in the radar transmitter room while the 5 inch 38s were blasting Bloodsworth Island in the Chesepeak bay.

But in the game I find that retargeting works well enough for now. I too would prefer to have a harrassing fire command or to set the number of rounds to be fireed in one turn.