An unpublished ability?

Hi Guys.

Today during a battle I had a platoon level morter in a hollow, it was recovering from being hit hard. As a consequence it had a very limited line of sight to anything. Anyway, during the firefight it suddenly starts popping away at targets is can't see. The only thing I could spot, was that it's platoon HQ unit did have line of sight and there was a red command line between the two units, so they were in direct contact. Can anybody confirm that there is a routine that lets platoon level morters fire indirect if they are in contact with a 'spotting' unit within their platoon or is it just a case of perhaps a bit of luck that there was perhaps the narrowest of LOS to the target that I didn't spot?

Hi Dave,

RTFM - Read the fine manual smile.gif

Yes, HQ is able to direct mortar fire as long as it is in command range of the mortar and it has LOS to the target, be it a unit or an area.

In fact, if you follow the CMAK (I'm assuming you have CMAK) tutorial, it explains this and the mortar there is essential to winning.

Cheers, and enjoy this new ability.

DaveR, you are right, it will only fire by itself with its own LOS, there is no automatic fire through the HQ.

The by far most likely explanation is that it targetted the target unit when that one was in LOS and by the time of the turn end it just went out of LOS and the target line has not been dropped yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't aware of this. In my experience, my hidden mortars pop away quite happily on their own provided they have contact with a platoon CO who can see the target. I can only remember giving specific orders if I see a specific target I want hit.

Alternatively, I have just assumed this is what they have been doing all this time!