Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The trouble with (half) tracks.

I'm fighting a battle at the momment in snow. I have a couple of half tracks that have just dropprd off guns. They are on open ground and have been ordered to withdraw. In the space of the last 120 second neither has managed to do any more than rotate painfully slowly by no more than 15 degree's.

They do not seem to have any difficulty moving in a straight line, neither is bogged and they bagan moving within 20 seconds. :(

I can appreciate that turing is awkward in snow but I cannot believe it takes this long to rotate a tracked vehicle.

Comments would be appreciated

Nope.

My main problem was the(IMO) too fast turning rate of wheeled vehicles, especially off-road and in mud. But the thread quickly turned into a rather technical discussion about the steering mechanisms of tanks and the proper terms for them...

That happens when you leave your poor little thread alone for a few days...it gets ravaged by the track-grogs... tongue.gif

Good thread Para. I have no doubt that manouvering a 10 ton half track in snow can be a little less than straight forward but I cannot imagine how it can take in excess of two minutes. No doubt some weight to power calculation is taking place to calculate this and the results are bordering on absurd. The whole point in putting tracks on vehicles at all is to improve manouverability/survivability off road.

I would have thought weight would influence it but I doubt the vehilces full power is being used to turn around so what relevance is it's maximum HP going to be in the real world ?