Ow, that hurt!

In the context of my whole CMBB/Allied General campaign I just had my heaviest and most embarrasing defeat ever.

I had 6 BT-5s attack 4 Finnish pilboxes + 4 Boys AT rifles with 5 105mm FOs in support. I placed my tanks tread to tread and wanted to fast move across the 2400 meter neutral ground as quickly as possible. Arty hadn't been neither remotely accurate or effective before and should easily be avoided by moving along. Besides that, the AI only throws smoke at large tank formations. Well yes, they would if they had any. Amazingly, a few hours earlier I had read on a thread around here that the Fins didn't use any smoke shells. I just wasn't thinking about it when setting up.

So I press go and imidiately rounds start coming in. The first shell takes out TWO BT-5s, the second shell another. Another one BT dies later in the same volley. One dies a volley later while one manages to hold on till the third volley. The BT-5s never even had a chance to move! The barrage then kills every single tank crew. In the first turn. That's right, not a single survivor. Turns out 4 FOs had LOS to my setup zone from about 3 kilometers.

Ow.

I think I'll cry myself to sleep. Damn Uber-Finns! :D

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Your underestimating them again. They would only use one round and trust the flying pieces of the destroyed tank to take out the others.

Trust? TRUST? Finns don't rely on trust! They would CALCULATE the trajectories of the flying pieces of destroyed tank, and choose the correct place to hit it so that the pieces would take out the other tanks.

:D

Originally posted by PondScum:

Trust? TRUST? Finns don't rely on trust! They would CALCULATE the trajectories of the flying pieces of destroyed tank, and choose the correct place to hit it so that the pieces would take out the other tanks.

:D

You mean like this smile.gif :

tanks3.jpg

In case it does not show up see

http://uk.geocities.com/lepte2000/WWII_photos.html

the picture at the bottom.

NOTE: these are not BT's but I think the picture is graphic enough. ;)

[ June 07, 2003, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Tero ]