Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Wow...Finally beated the demo!

Wow, I'm happy, I finally beated the demo. Not much for you guys but I was quite happy to win the two scenarios after some tries. That game is really impressive.

The best part is that my wife called me tonight at the hotel to tell me that my full copy of the game just arrived at home today! Not so bad, 4 days to have it shipped in Canada. I think that I will try to catch an earlier flight to go back home tomorrow.

Altough, I still have a question. On the Yelnia Stare scenario, I was playing the Russians and I win a total victory but mainly with my tanks. I think that I would have been able to make it without most of my infantry and that gave me the impression that I did it wrong. I try to pindown the enemy with my support fire and make my troop advance during that time but without any success, they always get routed. How long are normaly your advance? 20m? 100m? 200m?

Thanks,

Max

I thought the game was broken it was so hard :mad: and iam sure I can say that most of the vets took a few good beatings in the two demo scenarios as for your Q I too took advantage of the armour as the large open spaces arent ideal for conscript infantry but I found small advances from cover to cover while useing covering fire worked fairly well , Once close enough try and gain fire Superiority by going through all your squads and making sure there shoting at something prefbly at the germans but assaulting the flags was where i often got stuck mayby someone can fill in, I aint no tactician but thats the way I went to archive some sucess smile.gif

That was a tough scenario that had endless debates when the Demo was released. The Russian infantry was untrained and un-dependable. Your full version will give you the chance to command regular and better infantry.

Advancing infantry in the full version still has to be done with care. Real battlefield tactics go a long way in CMBB. As you mention using support fires and other normal battlefield tactics such as cover.

The technique I have settled into is using “move” when there is no or little chance of enemy fire. “Move to contact” when I suspect enemy encounters.

The “advance” command is used when trying to cover open ground between covered routes or when attacking. “Advance” can tire your troops quickly and needs to be used sparingly.

“Assault” I use with usually not every squad in the platoon being ordered to “assault”. For instance I may use the “assault” command with one or two squads into a building while one or more provides cover fire.

Max ...

Welcome to the world of Combat Mission.

Just a word of warning !

BEFORE you open the box, buy your wife a present, take her for a meal and pay her some attention. Call all your friends and family, just to say hello.

....... Once you open the box, it may be sometime before any of them hear from you again :D

Wow. 4 days to Canada sounds like a record. Canadian customs has been notorious for holding onto packages for awhile.

After palying with the demo's conscript infantry ('like herding cats' someone said) you'll really enjoy the better trained troops in the full game.

Last night I did a random Quickbattle and was delighted to find myself with crack German infantry. Unfortunately, it wasn't until well into the game that I noticed they were 'unfit' crack German infantry! Dang! They obey your orders immediately - and immediately get exhausted doing it. They must've pulled these guys out of a local TB ward! :mad: