Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

AT guns and AP only tanks

I guys.

I'm doing a CMAK scenario where the British are attacking an Itallian position with a number of ATG's. I'm attacking with Matilda 2's, but their main gun ammo load out is just AP. Not being sure of the game machanics. I'd just like to ask, am I better off just hosing the ATG's down with MG fire from the tanks in the hope of killing the crews, or driving them off.

Or would I be as well off using the AP in the hope that a hit will still wreck the gun?

Dave

Cogust,

AP may or may not kill ATGs in the game, but I can assure you it would and did in real life. I've seen pictures of a 2-pounder ATG with three neat holes drilled right through the shield. Let's just say the crew wasn't thrilled with the experience. Doctrinally speaking, the Matilda IIs fought ATGs and infantry with MG fire, their thick armor proof against all but the heaviest weapons, with the 2-pounder for killing any tanks encountered. In practice, precision 2-pounder gunnery could do to German and Italian ATGs precisely what was done to the luckless 2-pounder I described above. For the record, I haven't tried to kill an ATG yet in CMAK with 2-pounder fire.

Regards,

John Kettler

DaveR,

I have also run into the same situation. In fact, I'm willing to bet it's the same scenario. I dealt with the Italian guns by having a platoon of Matildas suppress the gun and its neighbors while another platoon conducted overruns. Most of the guns were unable to damage the Matildas. Once the Matilda gets within a few meters, the crew will abandon the gun.

I did suffer the occasional gun damaged Matilda. They were PERFECT for driving over the Italian guns. I also lost a handful of Matildas to unsuppressed large-caliber Italian field guns firing at point-blank range. Too bad. In any big operation you've got to expect losses. smile.gif

Regards,

Ken

Remember, AP rounds do have a small blast value in CM. They're nowhere near as effective as HE from the same gun, but they will suppress and damage if the round impacts close enough. Hell, I'll use them against infantry if the situation is dire enough or if I have enough excess AP. To Mr. Kettler's point, most gunshields are several mm thick and designed to protect against small arms and shrapnel. AP rounds, even from small guns are going to go straight through.