What type of tank is this? T-26???

Originally posted by Hans:

Fernando

I believe you are right as it comes off a SCW page. Question, is the terrain in Central Spain, around Madrid and the site of the Jarama and Guadalajara battles like what is shown in the picture? ie bald hills?

Well, I'm not from central Spain, but from Barcelona. I've been on Guadarrama mountains, north of Madrid, two times, but I don't really know how the terrain is around Madrid. Take in mind that Spain isn't a flat country at all. There are mountain ranges everywhere. The Guadarrama Mountains are about 50-60 Km North of Madrid, the Gredos Mountains are about 60-80 Km West of the city. IIRC the Guadalajara and Jarama battles (Guadalajara is a city and Jarama is a river) were fought East and South of Madrid. I think the terrain isn't very mountainous there, but it's not flat either. Lots of hills and low mountain ranges here and there. Most of the time they were barren. I think that only the Guadarrama and Gredos Mountains had large woods at the time.

I have been fortunate to travel quite a bit in Spain, and yes, much of the interior looks quite like the photo. Note the perspective of the photo limits the horizon....if you were on top of that ridge in the backgound you would likely see low rocky mtns (with some trees) in the distance, or a tree-lined river valley.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

This article might interest you: Soviet Tank Operations in the Spanish Civil War

by Steven J. Zaloga

I found this excerpt from the Brunete offensive very interesting:

"The attack by the 18th Corps on Villanueva de la Canada on 6 July began badly. The tank battalion advanced across an open field with the infantry from the 34th Division following behind, but the tanks were stopped about 500-600 meters from the town by the Nationalists' two well-concealed anti-tank guns and two field guns... But four more attacks failed to overcome resistance in the town. One of the German 37mm guns had been mounted in a church steeple and was credited with a dozen tanks".