Thoughts on the Nafziger Collection- Battle Tactics Books

I am considering purchasing several of the battle tactics books from the Nafziger Collection offered by BFC. Does anyone have any quick reviews/impressions that they would like to provide on these volumes; including:

Quality of printing (limited number of typos, good binding, etc...)

Quality of material

Usability

Valuable source references or bibliography

Thanks for any thoughts- especially on the volumes that I will be buying (German and Soviet).

I have several of the Soviet TOE booklets from the Nafziger Collection and they are excellant. Nothing fancy mind you, just the facts. Mine are several years old, and were bound with the office binding machine plastic ringlets. If there were typos, I didn't notice them which means they were not too pronounced. Not sure of the current price, but the information was well worth what I paid for it. Oh, as far as reference materials go, I'm simply not certain where else one might find such detailed information.

[ January 21, 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

If you are already familiar with Soviet tactics, the books that BFC offers may not be all that helpful. They really didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know and I can't honestly say there were any amazing revelations or surprises. However, I am probably not a good example since I am pretty familiar with Soviet strategy and tactics to begin with. If you are new to the Soviet way of war, this will probably be a good enough start. I have found the book on German Squad Tactics to be much more interesting since it contains a lot of the little details most other books simply skip over or don't really go into detail with.

Zitadelle,

I own the manuals on Soviet Armour and Soviet Infantry, and German Panzer tactics.

Soft-bound, seems to be good quality (i.e. will survive constant reading); have not noted any typos; dense lay-out which makes it a bit difficult to read at times; some pictures could be clearer, especially the ones scanned from Soviet manuals.

Quality of material

Very good, highly informative look at small unit combat tactics.

Usability

In CMBB? Not sure, I have just had a quick read through them, not studied them with a view to apply the lessons in CMBB. Especially the platoon tactics, and formations, should be applicable though.

There are TO&E listings in the back, and the soviet ones have a good number of STAVKA instructions on how to use tanks etc, putting the manual nicely into context.

Overall I think they are well worth the money.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Zitadelle,

I own the manuals on Soviet Armour and Soviet Infantry, and German Panzer tactics.

Soft-bound, seems to be good quality (i.e. will survive constant reading); have not noted any typos; dense lay-out which makes it a bit difficult to read at times; some pictures could be clearer, especially the ones scanned from Soviet manuals.

Quality of material

Very good, highly informative look at small unit combat tactics.

Usability

In CMBB? Not sure, I have just had a quick read through them, not studied them with a view to apply the lessons in CMBB. Especially the platoon tactics, and formations, should be applicable though.

There are TO&E listings in the back, and the soviet ones have a good number of STAVKA instructions on how to use tanks etc, putting the manual nicely into context.

Overall I think they are well worth the money.

Thanks for your impressions Andreas. Based upon your answer they seem to be good references, and as for the usability, I was not particularly looking for an answer within the realm of CMBB. Still, your answer seems to indicate that the volumes have valuable information which makes them quite useful.

Thanks to everyone else as well- and now to bump it to the top to see if anyone else has any opinions (although I really don't expect this crowd to voice any strong opinions on anything...).

I have both the Soviet books from Nafziger as well as Armstrong's Red Armor Combat Orders and the US Army's TM 30-430. The Nafziger books are worth the price in my opinion. Look closely at what the Nafziger books are saying and you can learn a lot.