Infantry with minds of their own??

I've just recently played a scenario and noticed something which, as far as I remember, I haven't seen before: I had almost a company of Panzergrenadiers embarked in half tracks behind a tree line. There was a platoon of Panzer IIIs with them who were firing at a couple of Russian AT guns at fairly long range, there was no real danger to them and so my attention was diverted somewhere else for a couple of turns*. When I got back to them I noticed that a platoon of Panzergrenadiers had disembarked without orders and had sneaked into the trees. Now I know that they'd do this if the halftrack was knocked out, and sometimes they'll do this under an artillery barrage, but neither of those situations seemed to be appropriate here. There had been no enemy artillery fire...not even light mortars, and the halftracks were all perfectly seviceable with no crew casualties. So why did three squads of panzergrenadiers suddenly decide to just jump out of their half tracks for no apparent reason?

*Don't you just hate it when you think that a particular situation on some remote part of a large battlefield is totally under control, so you just ignore it for a couple of turns whilst you deal with something more important......only to return and find that something totally unexpected and/or wierd has occured; but of course you can't replay it now so you're left scratching your head and thinking "what the heck happened there?"

Originally posted by Moon:

They might do this when the vehicle they are riding on bogs.

Martin

Thanks for the reply Moon but that wasn't the case either. The HT's were stationary at the time but not bogged (I loaded the squads back up and drove off a couple of turns later) It was a complete mystery as to why they got out in the first place.

Originally posted by Sardaukar:

Maybe their halftrack got hit by anti-tank rifle ? It may not cause damage or casualties even if it penetrates, but passengers are definitely not happy to stay inside.

Cheers,

M.S.

There were certainly no anti-tank rifles about, I keep a very close watch out for those sneaky little sods smile.gif The only thing I can think of is that a couple of stray rounds from the aforementioned AT guns managed to get some near misses and 'spooked' the infantry. I was just wondering if anybody else had any experience of squads just bailing out of serviceable HT's

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

A fighter-bomber probably flew overhead during the time while you were distracted... that sends the embarked troops scurrying away, or so I'm told.

That's exactly i think; when i played another scen, it kept happening over and over again until irealized they were scared witless and were trying to get away from a potential target

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

A fighter-bomber probably flew overhead during the time while you were distracted... that sends the embarked troops scurrying away, or so I'm told.

Ah, so that will send them diving for cover as well. That's a possibility. Thanks

I think now too that aircraft were the cause for troops bailing out from HTs. They are also hard to detect if one (like me) who doesn't pay attention. I had bad thing happen to me in one CMBO operation (might been 21st Pz counterattack) when I just casually fast-clicked movie over..and when I started to give orders, my Tigers were wiped out and my infantry miraculously dissappeared. I was quite surprised. Turned out to be fighter-bombers and 14 " naval barrage from AI brits smile.gif

Cheers,

M.S.