Operation Briefings....y not before each battle?

Maybe this is something that could be included in the engine rewrite, but I was thinking of how a battle would unfold if the commanders received some intel on reinforcements.

Consider the following hypothetical example (in real life). At the beginning of a battle the expected schedule is laid out. However, during the battle something unexpected happens and reinforcements are delayed. Knowing this, the commander at the front can adjust tactics accordingly. Maybe hold back the big push until reinforcments arrive. So instead of renewing the battle at mid-day, he decides to wait until his reinforcements arrive at dusk to renew the battle. But he may not make that decision unless he had word on what was happening behind the frontlines.

So my suggestion is to have briefings in between battles of an operation. Then, either side can choose to not conduct that battle. If both players choose that option, that particular battle is skipped (much like how nighttime battles worked in CMBO). I mean, if there is time in between battles to remove vehicles and tanks, there is certainly enough time to get intelligence updates. Maybe even sprinkle in some intel about the enemy movements as well.

Of course, if operations are totally redone, then this suggestion is moot. But if not, then I would be in favor of adding briefings in between battles.

Between battle briefings would be a GREAT addition.

I'd also like to see the ability to present additional messages to the players tied to either a specific turn or a reinforcement.

[ May 18, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: xerxes ]

Originally posted by xerxes:

I'd also like to see the ability to present additional messages to the players tied to either a specific turn or a reinforcement.

Hmmmm, that could be implemented in both scenarios and ops. That would be cool. Esepecially in the hoped for improvements in multi-player play where there are multiple players playing. Maybe a new guy jumps in when reinforcements arrive and he gets separate orders than the original guys .... or something....