New Scenario at TPG - "Peiper's Chariots Of Fire"

Just posted this at The Proving Grounds. set in February 1943.

Frustrated by his inability to force the Northern Donets River line directly in front of Kharkov, Rybalko notes that the Russian 6th Army to his left in the south has made a breakthrough over the Northern Donets through a gap between retreating and badly scattered German forces there. After crossing the river, the 6th Army’s 350th Rifle Division is about to seize the town of Andrejewka on the river’s north bank. Rybalko decides to use his veteran mobile reserve, the 6th Guards Cavalry Corps, to exploit this breakthrough at Andrejewka, outflank the SS Panzerkorps to the south, and encircle them around Kharkov—a fitting sequel to Stalingrad.

On the high western bank of the Northern Donets east of Kharkov, SS Panzerkorps can see long columns of Red Army troops heading south. Already stretched thin, “Leibstandarte” sends mobile Kampfgruppe Guhl to deny the flank to the south. It races toward Andrejewka to block the roads heading into town. Part of the Kampfgruppe comes from the III. armored battalion of the division’s second Grenadier regiment. The newly-equipped Battalion is commanded by veteran SS Sturmbannfuhrer Jochen Peiper.

Now a new strategic consideration entered the picture. The veteran German 320th “Berlin Heart” Infantry Division was heroically fighting its way out of encirclement to the east and heading for Andrejewka, hoping for safety. That division was also needed to help hold Kharkov. Everyone is heading for Andrejewka as fast as they can go on the frozen steppe.

A legend is about to be born.

Both Charlie (my co author and designer) and I have been very meticulous to research the Soviet side and give the Soviets their own identity rather than a faceless 'Red Horde' - as the bravery shown by the Soviet units during this fighting was equally as exceptional.

You can download it here:-

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details_link.html?sku=785

As always any feedback etc would be most welcome. smile.gif

Another excellent looking map and no doubt (after playing Bridgehead at Fedorowka several times I'm certain of that)another great and challenging game. Thank you, George, for handling this fascinating period at the eastern front,I'm really, really enjoying your work!

Originally posted by aragorn2002:

Another excellent looking map and no doubt (after playing Bridgehead at Fedorowka several times I'm certain of that)another great and challenging game. Thank you, George, for handling this fascinating period at the eastern front,I'm really, really enjoying your work!

Hi Aragorn2002!

Thank You :D Glad you are enjoying the series. These scenarios are a joint effort, so credit where credit is due - Charlie Meconis, my co-author and designer has done the bulk of the research into this whole period. It's thanks to his extensive research referencing and cross-refrencing sources that the scenarios are as accurate as the information available allowed them to be.

We've a couple of more scenarios set around this time in the pipeline and all going well they should be available mid summer. Thanks again for your very positive feedback.

Cheers fur noo

George