Von Lauchert battle

Minor Spolier ahead-

I just started this battle and I am on turn 5 and had two of my T-70's get knocked out by the Panthers over 1000 meters away. Now as you may know its all flat steppe between me and the Panthers and I have little access to smoke. So the only thing I can think of is to make a massive charge to present them with as many targets as possible and hope some T-34's will surive to get a flank shot. I know this will result in massive casualties and might result in my losing. Any better suggestions? I have big guns, but they cannot go head to head against Panthers(slow ROF).

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Hope that the Panthers run out of AP?

That too is a viable tactic for the Soviet commander, although perhaps not for this battle. This tactic is dependant on the scenario/op's numeric balance between the sides, supply setting for the Axis, the supply setting for the Allies, reinforcements, etc. In other words, if there are hordes of Reds and a small number of Germans with scarce supply: the Reds can, by presenting the Germans with a target rich environment, cause the Germans to run out of ammo & can win Major even Total victories that way, despite staggering losses. I have & against better players. However, since I only play double blind with EFOW, I can only verify this after I fight a battle. A very callous tactic, but in some situations the only one that can work, especially in an operation as opposed to a scenario. That means one has to be 3 times as careful, lots of view level 1 terrain analysis with the MK 1 eyeball; MAXIMUM synchronicity with movement/fire. Each of your losses must be FULLY justified.

[ August 27, 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Alkiviadis ]

Speed is the Russian's best weapon. Use it to get into position quickly, and force the German player into knife-fighting range, where their weak side armor is vunerable.

Charge every T34 / T70 into the gully at high speed. Make sure to plot each tank so that they have a clear path for their entire run. The first wave should make it with minimal losses. Subsequent waves will suffer, especially the last wave. Disregard your losses (like a true Russian). If all goes well you will have 20-30 tanks in the gully.

All other tanks / SP guns should wait behind hills, with an occasional shoot and scoot to draw the Germans attention, and force them to waste precious AP ammo, while the T34s make their runs.

When the German tanks finally do approach the lip of the gully you can bring your overwatch tanks up to engage, while the gully force emerges to flank the cats.