Does the HQ combat bonus work for controlled units?

Noticed something strange with HQs:

The combat bonus is supposed to raise firepower.

However, I noticed that while the firepower of the HQ itself raises with the combat bonus, the firepower of the controlled units does not.

Example:

- 130 meters distance

- not in editor, in the actual game

- firepower Rifle 44 platoon:

- HQ itself with bonus 0: 17

- HQ itself with bonus 1: 19

- HQ itself with bonus 2: 21

- squad under HQ with bonus 0: 83

- squad under HQ with bonus 1: 83

- squad under HQ with bonus 2: 83

- tank hunter under HQ with bonus 0: 13

- tank hunter under HQ with bonus 1: 13

- tank hunter under HQ with bonus 2: 13

That looks like a non-working feature to me. Clearly the firepower in the LOS display in the game reports a bonus that might apply, because it does for the HQ. So I have to assume that the squad control does not work.

This is 1.03

[ July 08, 2003, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

I think i see what your talking about,though i may be wrong.The reason that a HQs firepower with a + to combat is higher when you selesct it and hit enter is that it will permanently be higher since it is the HQ.

For controlled units,their firepower will not increase in the unit info screen,but it will be higher when you target or do a LOS check to an enemy unit.

Does this make sense?I did no research on this,just as assumption.If not then the question still stands,and i would like to know the answer as well.(AKA BUMP)

[ July 06, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

no i think what he means is that during the orders phase, the firepower shows no increase for the squads even with an hq that has an improved combat rating. my guess is that the firepower doesn't show improvement until the actual combat is computed, though i really don't know that for a fact...

Guys,

One will see the benefit of a combat bonus (lightning bolt) when a firing squad/team is selected, the "T" is selected, the resulting target line is stretched on top of the targeted 'infantry' unit, and the resulting firepower number is read. This is the target line firepower number.

The unit menu firepower number is the unit's firepower at different deliniated distances, 40m, 100m, 250m, 500m.

In order to see the combat bonus benefit, choose shooting distances near distance breaks on the the unit's firepower/composition menu (that is, 40m,100m, 250m). If the firing infantry squad/team has a combat bonus and one compares the target line firepower number to the menu firepower number, the target line firepower number will be slightly greater than the menu firepower number.

In short, units with combat bonuses will have higher firepower than a similar unit without a combat bonus. However, one will only be able to easily see this if the shooting is taking place near to 40m, 100m, 250m, or 500m. smile.gif

I hope that this was not too confusing.

Cheers, Richard

Nope:

HQ 0+ at 40m: 56

HQ 2+ at 40m: 68

squad 0+ at 40m: 123

squad 2+ at 40m: 123

squad 0+ at 100m: 85

squad 2+ at 100m: 85

squad 0+ at 250m: 48

squad 2+ at 250m: 48

Both in the editor and in the game.

[ July 07, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

Nope:

HQ 0+ at 40m: 84

HQ 2+ at 40m: 56

squad 0+ at 40m: 123

squad 2+ at 40m: 123

squad 0+ at 100m: 85

squad 2+ at 100m: 85

squad 0+ at 250m: 48

squad 2+ at 250m: 48

Both in the editor and in the game.

Have you checked it in 1.02?Cause me thinks it be a bug!

This is 1.03. I cannot load the scenario into the older version.

Your quote contains a typo of me, sorry, I corrected my posting.

Update, 1.02:

43m HQ 2+: 66

43m squad 2+: 136

43m HQ 0+: 66

43m squad 0+: 122

Seems somebody tried to fix it for the HQ and broke it for the controlled unit while doing so.

I find this very interesting

is there any official comment from BFC?

:confused:

Good find Redwolf

(I think :confused: )

-tom w

Scratch the 1.02 results. The higher FP squad has a MG42, the other one a MG34.

I just reviewed that the HQs with the different FP have the same SMG. They do, for the 2+ HQ the unit info FP is 57 and the in-game FP is 66.

[ July 07, 2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

The combat bonus is there, but tough to find.

Merely using the LOS tool or the (T)arget line is not, repeat NOT sufficient. The squad must already have something targetted. Then use the LOS line or the (T)arget line. You will then see the effect of the combat bonus listed on the screen.

I don't know why it is setup that way, but there it is.

[ July 07, 2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: tabpub ]

Ah.

OK, there it is exactly as you say. While HQ has its display in the editor and in the game pre-shooting displayed the squads only get it after the actual beginning of the firefight.

Glad to be of assistance.