Smoke on marshes

I noticed that smoke dischargers cannot deploy a smoke curtain over marshy areas. I presume this is due to the fact that smoke grenades will sink before starting to put out a sensible quantity of smoke.

Does this happen also for smoke shells and on water tiles?

A.

Huh. Never noticed this. Live and learn.

My only experience with smoke munitions is with smoke grenades used for signalling in SAR work - as a teenager I used to be really into backpacking and other wilderness activities and I spent some time on volunteer rescue squads.

Anyway, the smoke grenades we had, which I assume were military surplus signalling grenades(at least they had US military markings on them) would continue to emit smoke underwater - the smoke would just come out of the surface of the water after a few seconds.

Any smoke grogs out there that could explain why some shells can emit smoke through water and others can't? I know that there are a number of different kinds of smoke shells, including White Phosphorus and HC (Hexachloraethane?), but other than that I know very little about smoke of the military kind and when, where and why different types are used.

Cheers,

YD

I would hazard a guess that WP emits smoke underwater because it burns nicely underwater. I'm not sure how the hexachlorothane shells in US service worked, nor whether everybody else used the same stuff. But I do know that WP burns when exposed to water or air. That's why it's such a bugger to put out.

Would they really have given us WP smoke grenades for Wilderness SAR signalling?

I must admit that it was a long time ago, and I was a clueless teenager at the time, so I don't remember much in the way of details.

I also never got to use one in a real rescue - they taught us how to use one and actually set off one real one as a training exercise.

I do remember that they told us the grenade would get pretty hot once it started emitting smoke, so we should make sure not to place it on something combustible. I don't remember them telling us the smoke would be really toxic or anything, though, which would be the case with WP. . .

So if it wasn't WP smoke I wonder what kind of smoke it was, because it still emitted underwater as well.

Still curious,

YD