CMBB on linux?

From

http://www.netraverse.com/support/docs/win4lin-50-relnote.html

Improved video performance

Bitmap rendering performance has been increased significantly thanks to optimized algorithms for converting Windows graphics to Linux graphics. On local displays, the XShm (X Shared Memory) extension is automatically utilized to increase the speed at which images are transfered to the X Server, resulting in even higher overall performance. Win4Lin 5.0 was also the first release of Win4Lin to provide DirectX support. At the time of original release, only preliminary support for 2D applications (namely video players) exists, although many other applications may run as well. Any application which requires or checks for 2D/3D hardware acceleration will not function. NeTraverse has tested DirectX 8.0a, which is supported on Windows 95, 98, and Me, with Win4Lin 5.0.0. Please see the Release History for the latest information on DirectX support for each update of Win4Lin 5.0/5.1."

I don't have the time to try it out right now.

Not sure if its worth trying.

*de-lurks*

Hi, I have tried to get the CM series working under Linux as it is the only reason to keep booting Windows!

If the above doesn't work try http://www.transgaming.com/ and their WineX product.

CMBO works but runs like a dog, CMBB will install but will not run and I haven't tried CMAK yet.

Every month there is a pole as to which titles the developers should concentrate on getting working and last month CMBB was nominated! Hurrah! But came last. Boo! ...bloody Halo, HL, KOTOR, FarCry etc..mindless pap ..grumble... :mad:

*re-lurks*

Hi, just to clarify a few things, having tried them myself today:

CMBO will install and run under WineX3 on Linux.

CMBB + CMAK will only install under Windows, but you can then play them under WineX3 if you share the partitions.

BUT: All three of them move as fast as an undermotivated tortoise glued to the carpet, and are, alas, unplayable. :(

Well, it's a start I guess?

I think the way forward is to harass the developers at Transgaming into sorting it out - now is the chance for the forum regulars(and non-regulars) to make a difference!!!

I tried this plenty and often.

You can run CMBO in VMware in software mode, it is actually pretty usable for quick PBEM moves, database lookup and other low-intensivity activity. It doesn't work with CMBB and CMAK because BFC removed the software renderer and VMware doesn't have 3D acceleration.

Last time I checked Wine was with Winex 3.2.1 and Win from March of February IIRC. Neither could run CMBB or CMAK. Dunno about CMBO. J_toe, you have a link to that report where it is supposed to run.

CMBO/CMBB/CMAK use ancient DirextX 5.x API elements which nobody really cares about anymore, so it becomes less, not more likely that the neccessary parts get implemented in the future.