Wind Conditions: Does it reduce the ability to pick up sound contacts?

Originally posted by Sisu:

If it is snowing, the sounds are dampened a lot. However, when it's very cold and not snowing (around -25 to -30 Celsius), sound carries very, very far. It is easy to hear even soft sounds. Probably has something to do with density of air molecules (or something).

Beacuse of snow falling the surface is soft and this maybe causes stronger absorbtion of sound than the frozen (hard) surface.Maybe..

ah, something i can add first hand experience to. i live next to ft hood, and i can tell you without hesitation that sound carries much more in the dry, crisp days and nights of winter than it does in the muggy days of summer. the guns firing on post are definitely more noticeable during winter. they rattle our windows so much we don't even pay attention. i can remember one day a salesman was in my office and a large boom rattled the building. he almost jumped out of his seat and hit the dirt.. well, carpet anyway. i smiled and said, don't worry, it's just ft hood firing today. turns out one of our forklift drivers hit the building and a large chunk of the tiltwall had fallen off, hit the top of the lift and then crashed on the ground. fortunately nobody was hurt, but it shows how sounds can be deceiving. i was so used to hearing those guns, that it never dawned on me that it could be anything else... sorry to ramble on like that, please continue your discussion on wind effects... :D