For Finnish AFV grogs and modders

the_enigma,

That's the way it seems to go when it comes to combat productivity. The same sort of thing was noted regarding American fighter pilots. You had the incompetents who got shot down without accomplishing anything, often taking buddies with them, the unaggressive ones who did nothing but at least managed to stay alive, the somewhat ballsier and more talented ones who managed a few kills, some aces and double aces, then you had Foss, Boyington, Blakelee, Mahurin, etc., etc., capped by Bong with 40 kills. When the Dragon antitank missile first came into service, the Army envisioned it as a weapon anyone could fire--until field trials established that a handful of men in any given unit got some 80% of the hits. This led to setting up a separate MOS specifically for dedicated Dragon "gunners."

The studies I've seen on combat productivity speak of men called "natural killers" who are few in numbers but do most of the casualty infliction.

These are your Hartmanns, Sgt. Yorks, your Kozhedubs, your "Killer" Kanes, your Kretschmers, Pooles, Burkes, Haras, Rudels, Murphys and Wittmanns. It matters not whether the battle occurs in the air, on the ground, at sea or even underwater. The basic pattern remains the same.

An aggressive, savvy few who know themselves and know their equipment inflict by far the bulk of all the losses.

Regards,

John Kettler

Finishing it off just before i could not get my head round why after the war they took off some of the improvments they made, armour plats, storage etc. :confused:

Yep have read, although not studies, that there are the few dudes spread throughout the rest who are as you said natural born killers or talented enough with there equipment (tanks etc)

Gonner start reading through that 2nd link while ive got some downtime here.

smile.gif

the_enigma,

I'd guess that part of the answer may well lie in how fast antiarmor developments came right after the war: bigger guns, nastier HEAT from both guns and manportable launchers, widespread adoption of APDS, Gen One ATGMs, to name but a few. Seems to me that a decision was made to drop all additional weight in pursuit of improved mobility and automotive reliability, with the objective being enhanced survivability for a vehicle whose armor was now grossly overmatched. The additional weight used to protect the lower hull side against ATRs, for example, likely made no sense in the face of the RPG-2, but increased vehicle speed and reduced wear and tear on drive train, tracks, and running gear definitely did. You may also be seeing the resurgence of the buttoned down by the book types who'd find a combat configured vehicle

"unmilitary looking" and "irregular."

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by the_enigma:

Finishing it off just before i could not get my head round why after the war they took off some of the improvments they made, armour plats, storage etc. :confused:

The extra weight causes extra strain to running gear, and the improvements make it harder to service the vehicle (eg. the logs on sides hardly made it easier to change a track). Keeping all vehicles in good condition is more important during peace time.