Foxholes in operations...

well not only... but one of my questions revolve around that...

in an op im playing now (same one i got my butt whopped by some surprisingly clearsighted airplanes) i have just started battle two as the defender... and for some reason my newly arrived troops cannot dig in... whats up with this? its an assault operation and that means that i cant use all the foxholes that were created last battle and since its been a while (in-game) since the last battle i think the old and new troops should be able to dig in anew... whats up with this?

and i also have some questions about trenches... ive noticed that they seem to shrink between battles... and also that someplaces they (graphically) are flat while "bulging" in others... any particular reason for this? or is it just a freak graphis bug? (they bulge up when you place them after all...)

hmmm... thats all i guess... atleast for now... still playing the op so some more questions may creep up later...

I think you would probaby find that in the first battle of the operation you were given an option to build fallback foxhole positions. If you don't do this in the first battle (hitting Alt-f or something) then you are not able to do it at all. I figure that your defences are you defences and if you don't dig in the first time around you are not going to have time to dig in when you reinforcements come.

well since its an assault map that means alot of the map is out of the combat window in the first battle... what happens when it starts rolling back? suddenly the defenders dont have prepared positions? no deep defence? i think that you should at least be able to dig foxholes! and i dont think you should have to put in lots of reinforcements linked to the map with trenches...

There's also a small 'bug' in the foxhole system. The defender can take back the holes which are sited within the new calculated setup zone between the battles. If the opponent occupies these foxholes ore not, they can be taken back to the 'foxhole-pool' and be placed again by the defender.

I cannot imagine soldiers moving back to area's which are occupied, fill the holes with dirt, and dig a new ones somewhere else.

Units that arive between battles are assumed to be doing just that, arriving. They haven't had time to dig in yet. You will notice though that if you don't move them then they will be dug in during the next battle.

Even if you set the time to be two battles with the first at dawn and the second at night I think it is still assumed that there are only a few minutes between each battle, an hour or so at the most.

You can set trenches and such along the length of the map as fallback positions and they will wait for that part of the map to be exposed. Troops, however, will be moved to the current battle window. I am not sure about foxholes placed in the editor.

One of the biggest wishes I have for coming versions of CM is more powerful editing tools for designers. Scripting, better obsticals, etc.

i guess i could use the crater placement system in the editor to place "foxholes" but thats not really what im after... i want whoever playing the game to be able to place his troops in defencive positions of his own... as for the trenches im not sure i can place them outside the starting battlewindow... wont they be placed along the edge then?

what do you mean taking back the foxholes? entering foxhole mode and clicking on the holes to make them dissapear?

If the operation has 'fallback positions' then you're able to use the foxhole pool. In the first setup you can dig in most of the units. This will give you a foxhole that belongs to that unit. You also get a foxhole pool in the first setup. This pool contains an amount of holes that is equal to the amount of prone units (Infantry). With the ALT+F mode you're free to place the holes anywhere in the setup zone.

Say you have 100 Infantry squads. If they all have the dig-in status then you'll end up with 200 foxholes. If all squads have survived the first battle then you can fill your pool again with 200 holes by clicking on them in the foxhole placement mode. So if you're expecting reinforcements then you should place the extra foxholes wisely. Because when the holes are sited in the enemy's setup zone in the 2nd, 3rd... setup you'll not be able to place them back in the foxhole pool. All reinforcements will not be able to dig-in, the only thing that's left is to place them in the holes from the pool.

If you know that the enemy is very strong and will break your first line of defense, you can create a 2nd line behind it with the foxhole pool. While you're placing them you should try the LOS with a infantry unit. Be careful with the first line of defense, don't let those foxholes be an advantage for the enemy.

If you place your units in treches the foxhole will disappear underneith the trench. You'll have to try it if you're still able to select the holes in the foxhole placement mode. But I guess that not many players will notice that these foxholes are there untill they move the trench to another position (if it's not locked in the editor).

The units that have a dig-in status while they're in a trench, they'll certainly have more advantage then units that aren't.

[ August 16, 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]