Skipping night battles in operations

There will be a new setup-phase. In fact, depending on how you shift around your forces during the night turn, the front line might also be recalculated, even if there is no combat (reflecting infiltration, probes and so on that happened in between the battles).

Martin

I guess I have a question that goes along with this thread.

In a recent operation, I opted out of the night battle, but the night battle happened anyway. This definitly made me think in defensive terms (i.e., I didn't develope an offensive), however, no one ever attacked! In the setup phase of the next battle my forces were moved back from their positions. I should mention that my forces did some good offensive work in the prevous battle and during the setup phase for the night battle I'm talking about, were in good defensive positions at the most forward portion of the "line" established by the previous battle. My question, I guess, is this--do I need to attack to maintain the current line even if the "enemy" doesn't attack? Maybe this question is more situation dependent than can be answered in a general repley, but I'd like to understand this kind of situation more.

Cheers

BCBF - if you have opted out, but the battle happened anyway than it means that both sides are eligible to choose, and the other side has chosen to fight, overriding your choice of not fighting.

If no real battle developed then most likely your forces "missed" each other. This can happen at night with the short LOS distances. It's possible that the opponent tried to infiltrate/flank and somehow went around your defensive positions. I would suggest that it's always good to do what soldiers would do in real life - keep a few patrols out to find the enemy.

Martin