CMBB: Do you see something gamey here?

Originally posted by Walpurgis Night:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scarhead:

1.) Not a good defender. Hills are for a lone HMG or AT gun position. And flags are to be avoided like the plague.

2.) Of course he doesn't HAVE to, but use some common sense here. If you know the attacker's "starting line", with just a wee bit of common sense you can deduce where his covered startup lanes are. </font>

1.) Just as a good defender does not mass around the flags and hilltops, a good attacker will not put most of his his forces on the start line.

2.) Using common sense, the attacker knows that the defender will know the best places - so he has to figure this in and use some odd places. (If there are no odd places, the scen or QB map is crap. Possible solutions see above. I suggest using neither flat nor open maps.)

3.) The defender knows the likely assembly areas, the attacker knows the good defensive terrain. An attack over open ground vs abundant cover for the defender at usual QB odds favors the defender. If the attacker agrees to the map - tough luck.

4.) I currently play exactly such a battle - but I start at least 800m from the defender (Guess my units use the whole 1000*2000m setup area) and I have enough time (120 turns, see scenario forum, Like big battles).

5.) Other solutions: Try to agree on rules what is gamey. I doubt the attacker would have choosen this approach had he knewn that pre-planned bombardements are not gamey. But then again, the rules should include extreme edge hugging as gamey, too. (But where does extreme start?).

6.) Possible solution: One side states the rules and the battle parameters, the other chooses which side he wants after the parameters are given. Thus player 1 wants to ensure a fair battle, as he will get the weaker side.

Gruß

Joachim

Looking at the map from the Attacker's POV, he can have made exactly the same move hiding all his packed force behind a forest 40m at his right and 60m at his back. This could mean maybe a turn of delay to reach the objective.

To me, it keeps being a tactical mistake for deploying in LOS and nothing more.