Biltong's Campaign Rules

Originally posted by Seahawk-vfa201:

BiltAid support

smile.gif It is my very pleasure to announce that BiltAid support has now a TEAM! Welcome the induction of Sebastian Szpil who has professional experience with Java J2EE environment.

BiltAid is receiving a considerable boost from his contribution so expect the unexpectable!

:D

Welcome Sebastian!!

Biltaid has opened up BCR to a host of players who only have a narrow gap between RL and dream-time. ;)

Any help you provide will be much appreciated smile.gif

Biltong

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Scarhead:

....If armor rocks, then ATGs are paper, while inf is scissors. Move slowly. ...

If you learn to be patient, you will loose less forces, but usually achieve a victory. There is no need to capture all flags in 15 turns....

Exceptional support Joachim - best I've seen in a long time. Well done smile.gif

Originally posted by Biltong:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 88mm:

Battle-report BCR-game2

well, i am trying a differen tactic now. It needed some "work" :D

88 - Welcome :D

You have just joined the hunt for the Holy Grail of Tactical Perfection. </font>

Originally posted by j0ker:

Onto my Question: on my last battle, I encountered an entirely unexpected event: I was defending very well vs. an Immediate Allied Assault, and my morale number actually started to RISE a point or 2... I haven't really looked over the whole Manual yet: is this possible, when there were no squads re-forming? anyone else seen their Morale rise inexplicably during a battle?

Pinned, panicked or routed squads have less morale than squads that are ok. If several of your squads have beaten off the assault in their sector and now don't see a threat anymore, morale goes up. Just what you would expect in RL.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Biltong:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scarhead:

....If armor rocks, then ATGs are paper, while inf is scissors. Move slowly. ...

If you learn to be patient, you will loose less forces, but usually achieve a victory. There is no need to capture all flags in 15 turns....

Exceptional support Joachim - best I've seen in a long time. Well done smile.gif </font>

Pinned, panicked or routed squads have less morale than squads that are ok. If several of your squads have beaten off the assault in their sector and now don't see a threat anymore, morale goes up. Just what you would expect in RL.

thanks Scarhead - never saw this happen before. I must be starting to do something right.

which reminds me: I see a potential ad campaign for BCR which spins the concept of 'better tactical fitness', and having before (flabby old men) and after (some shot of the Rock or something) shots of satisfied clients who have used BCR and have improved their gameplay... just a thought

ok, one more question. i cant find the unite on the battlesheet you print out for 1941. on the battlesheet all the platoons have 3 squads in them but in the game all the platoons have 4.

what is the name of the company you are supposed to start with?

I don't remember the actual Co name, but if your settings are German, Mech, Regular then it is the Co worth 406pts (I think it is about the 3rd line in the infantry column).

But I could be way out, as I'm typing from memory.

Originally posted by Greebo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> ok, one more question. i cant find the unite on the battlesheet you print out for 1941. on the battlesheet all the platoons have 3 squads in them but in the game all the platoons have 4.

I don't remember the actual Co name, but if your settings are German, Mech, Regular then it is the Co worth 406pts (I think it is about the 3rd line in the infantry column).

But I could be way out, as I'm typing from memory. </font>

Originally posted by Greebo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> ok, one more question. i cant find the unite on the battlesheet you print out for 1941. on the battlesheet all the platoons have 3 squads in them but in the game all the platoons have 4.

But I could be way out, as I'm typing from memory. </font>

Originally posted by Seba:

I have a question linked with rule 5a and 5b Weather.

Why is 5b inverted 5a?

I think that it would be simplier if 5b has the same sequence that 5a from the end and changed option for die 1-2 and 3-4.

Before anyone answer - of course - Seba question has an implication for code development in that the common sequence might be re-used and then specialize for weather-a/b (and more if needed), while with 'paper & pencil' the answer would be: so what ?!

;)

Anyway, this just to say: "I do not know why is that" :D

Originally posted by Seba:

I have a question linked with rule 5a and 5b Weather.

Why is 5b inverted 5a?

I think that it would be simplier if 5b has the same sequence that 5a from the end and changed option for die 1-2 and 3-4.

Have a look - You'll see that from a to b the Weather follows the QB list: from Clear through fog to blizzard. I try to keep to the QB list sequences where possible, so that the player will know what to expect and not to jump around too much. Ideally there should have been one weather roll, but it was impossible since I have to cater for the summer/winter modifiers.

Hwo bad luck can one have? I'm in February 42 at the moment. I've had three battles in a row with 50% troops and 10% ammo, blizzard and extreme cold. In every battle the Russkis have had 150-200% more troops. Plus I've only reveived green replacements.

In the battle last night (Allied probe) I was defending a hill with about 80 men, 2 PzIIIJ's, one StugIIIB, one PzIIc and one one 251/1 halftrack. Like I said I had only 50% troops and 10% ammo. I had only one HMG. I surrounded the hill with barbed wire and mine fields on two sides but had to left the right flank "unwired and unmined".

I couldn't believe my eyes, when I saw the partisans coming! They were literally flooding the base of the hill. I let them come until the barbed wire until I pulled my PzIII's to the front and let them shower the Russkis with MGs. I would have given my Führer's mustaches for some artillery. That would have been a carnage!

The partisans had divided in two groups and were attacking from the front and from the right flank, which was open for them to come. I had to withdraw my tanks from the front and drive them to the right flank to defend that. All the time the AT rifles were hitting the tanks, at least ten rounds per turn bounced off the armor. Luckily, the tanks survived.

When the tanks withdrew from the front, the partisans had it easy to pass the barbed wire. I had some troops in trenches waiting on top of the hill, but with low in ammo I let them hide until the very last moment. Of course my only HMG soon got jammed due to extreme coldness and was captured with a platoon commander and one squad.

I already though that this is now the end, when to my suprise, a ceasefire and the result of the battle: Major Victory!

My about 80 men plus some armor with 10% ammo against over 1300 men, and I got a Major Victory... One of the PzIIIs killed over 230 partisans and the other over 150.

What a great battle! But I hope that with the next battles I have a bit more luck with the dice smile.gif

Originally posted by JigVictor07:

... Major Victory!

My about 80 men plus some armor with 10% ammo against over 1300 men, and I got a Major Victory... One of the PzIIIs killed over 230 partisans and the other over 150.

What a great battle! ...

Great AAR Jig :D

And that's what happened in real life as well. The Germans survived the winter against enormous odds ands in extreme conditions without losing too much ground. Can be done - Just good Tactics!!! Well done!

I agree with Biltong Jig: great battle.

Incidentally I just finished the Kiev Urban Chaos: Major Victory. My forces are now

PzIII & IV : veteran

2 Green HQ (9 pts)

3 Green Squads (9)

3 Veterans (CO +HMG HQ + mortar)

all others comfortably Regular.

Urban Chaos has been scary till turn 25, after that I broke through and reached and controlled the bridges.

My CO sits in the Mayor House: office with a view :D

Seahawk,

I'm on my 10th battle with BCR and Biltaid and have to say I am quite enjoying this mode of playing. My current battle is a 3000 pt Axis Assault on a medium map with large hills and no trees. This one is going to take a while I think.

Anyway, I would like to put in a request for the new version of Biltaid that you are working on. Could you have Biltaid calculate the experience level of the battle group infantry company as a whole. Now that I've played a couple of battles and had casualties and replacements, I need to follow the direction in Note 12 of BCR to get the average infantry company experience. It seems that since Biltaid has all that info, each unit and its experience, that it could calculate the average experience setting that is needed in the Real Battle QB. I know it's a small thing, but it would help speed up the process of figuring out what experience level to use.

I have another question for you as well. This is the first battle where I've had initial casualties in my forces (I've been lucky so far, I guess) and I've noticed that there have been a couple of units from my battle group infantry company that have been eliminated (as well as having 1 or 2 casualties in the remaining ones). So my question to you is: Does Biltaid handle the whole units eliminated due to casualty settings per Note 5 of BCR? What I'm getting at is that according to Note 5 of BCR, there is chance that the units that didn't show up for battle will return with their current experience. Since I haven't fininshed this battle yet, I don't know how Biltaid will handle that. If I put in 0 men OK for the units that didn't arrive, will BCR roll on the table of Note 5 to see if I retain the experience of the original unit. If so, how does Biltaid know that the unit didn't show up initially vs. it was completely eliminated in combat during the battle (both would have men OK =0)?

Cheers,

Jeff

Well, well. The next battle after the one above: 5000 point allied assault with 150% high quality Soviet troops (armor, mechanized) against my 50% green German+Italian troops (armor, mechanized) and 10% ammo on a huuuuuge map in extreme cold and blizzard. So my luck continues...

This time I have 3000 points worth of arty (about 20 FOs!), so I'm not that nervous about the assault. Those Italian peashooter tanks and TDs don't raise my confidence very much, though... I have A LOT OF minefields, roadblocks and barbed wire around my defences, so let's see those Russkis pass those! :D

Too bad that I didn't get most of my battle group tanks and assault guns. Of course the trucks and the Kubelwagen showed up...With delayed armor replacements I may be in trouble in future battles.

Great job Jig :D

You should receive an Iron Cross smile.gif if you survive till Spring ;)

I think that the best side of BCR is that almost all battles are a challenge. Even in June 41 if AI buys the 2 platoons of T34m40 :confused: However Russkis had only 10% of ammo. :D

[ May 22, 2003, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Seba ]

Originally posted by Jeff Cronick:

Seahawk,

I'm on my 10th battle with BCR and Biltaid and have to say I am quite enjoying this mode of playing. My current battle is a 3000 pt Axis Assault on a medium map with large hills and no trees. This one is going to take a while I think.

Anyway, I would like to put in a request for the new version of Biltaid that you are working on. Could you have Biltaid calculate the experience level of the battle group infantry company as a whole. Now that I've played a couple of battles and had casualties and replacements, I need to follow the direction in Note 12 of BCR to get the average infantry company experience. It seems that since Biltaid has all that info, each unit and its experience, that it could calculate the average experience setting that is needed in the Real Battle QB. I know it's a small thing, but it would help speed up the process of figuring out what experience level to use.

It is computed per internal calculation. So it might be presented to the user as well smile.gif

I have another question for you as well. This is the first battle where I've had initial casualties in my forces (I've been lucky so far, I guess) and I've noticed that there have been a couple of units from my battle group infantry company that have been eliminated (as well as having 1 or 2 casualties in the remaining ones). So my question to you is: Does Biltaid handle the whole units eliminated due to casualty settings per Note 5 of BCR?

:( I am sorry to say that BiltAid does not take into account Note 5 (yet). That has to be hand-computed. It is a hassle.

Anyway, these days Seba is going through the whole BiltAid and it will be refactored to allow for easier changes and/or additions to the rules. The next version will be beaming all over BCR community. :D

Cheers,

Jeff

Holy COW

Only sick minds could conceive a map like the Bloody Bridges from Kiev Map Pack. :D

Jeez: traversing those bridges without paying a high tribute must be the closest thing to a miracle in CMBB.

I will need all the help from Wagner's Valkyries while traversing those bridges (as in "Apocalypse Now").