Call of Duty

I play twitch games like COD and I play CMBB (best strat game ever). I just wanted to post some info for you older guys, hehhe. Here is a FPS game coming out in February that you might be able to get in to.

http://www.brothersinarmsgame.com/us/agegate.php?destURL=index.php

It is a hybrid FPS strategy game. The most Authentic FPS made to date so they claim. Some of you grogs might appreciate it. ;)

I suggest downloading the trailer in the media section, since it is a better quality when you DL it.

I'm 16 and have been playing a mix of strategy and FPSs for ages now (admittedly, my first game was Super Mario Bros. when I was 3 :D ), and while Call of Duty is fun to play, there's only so many times you can play it.

There's a way to get rid of the instant healing: play on Veteran difficulty. No health kits, and the enemies actually fight.

There are problems with both games (CoD and CM) that I'm annoyed by (unrealistic AT weapons and piecemeal attacks in CoD, micromanagement and occasionally stupid TacAI in CM), but they're both great games in their own right.

As for FPSs on the Playstation...PCs are the only proper FPS/Strategy platform. You cannot play an FPS properly without a mouse and keyboard.

Originally posted by mrpwase:

As for FPSs on the Playstation...PCs are the only proper FPS/Strategy platform. You cannot play an FPS properly without a mouse and keyboard.

Sign me up for impropriety, then! ;) I actually prefer the PS2 controller (have been playing Medal of Honor and Star Wars Battlefront). And since I sit in front of a computer at work all day, using a different controller for games at home helps stave off repetitive stress injury a little longer, I like to think.

Warwick,

IMHO, you cannot be competitive against mouse and keyboard with a game controller. I seem to recall reading that at one Quake Tournament, 98 out of the top 100 players used mouse and keyboard. The only times I've known I'm playing against a joysticker in UT 2004, it was really no contest. You just can't match the speed and accuracy of mouselook.

I'm 16 and I've been playing CM for about a year now. But I also play FPS's as well, and other strategy games such as Civilisation. Hell, I think Call of Duty is one of the best games every made - it's right up there with CM (at least the PC version is. The PS2 version is obviously gonna be worse).

At the end of the day, I just don't consider the two genres in the same way - I can't get my mates to play CM, but they love CoD. Never mind!

Originally posted by slysniper:

Where as I was about 16 when I started and the board games were hard to learn to play (SL and Panzer Leader & such), but wanting to understand the true nature of combat, drew me to the games, just as CM continues to entice me today.

I think that this is an important point made here. I am 31 and have been playing wargames since I was 12. I know that I am not nearly as experienced as others here, but I have always wanted (Most of) my games to reflect how combat is actually conducted. I wanted it to "make sense." There are still younger kids out there that want the same thing, but not many. I guess that just means that we will have to wait for them to get old enough to show interest in "real" games. Then we can teach them. smile.gif

Hi first post. Only bought CMBB a few days ago. Great game.

I played some board games ( like the Avalon Hill ones)many years ago and played very few computer strategy games till recently. Currently apart from CMBB I play Rome Total War and Medieval Total War.

I also play a football (soccer) management game and this is quite interesting in terms of tactics vs instant results. I play the game along with some likeminded guys where we try to achieve the greatest amount of realism possible within the confines of the game. eg we start at the bottom of any league structure etc. A survey by the game company found that the average age of the gamersplaying our style was 28.5 years of age, this is quite a bit older than the average for overall players of the game. I read somewhere on this site that the average age of CM players is 35 years of age.

Over time younger players who are playing games they love like COD may develop more of an interest in the tactics and strategies and play strategy games. smile.gif