MODDING 101: What is the easiest way to find the .BMP's for a unit?

What is the easiest way to find the .BMP's for a unit? How can I figure out which BMP's belong to which units, including knowing which ones are shared?

I'm trying to prepare cmmods.com for the CMAK release. I want to have the CMAK mod section ready to go ASAP after it's release.

Can anyone tell me how YOU found the right BMP's for the unit you were modding? Or, more importantly, which units used which .BMP's??

Any help will grant you free downloads at cmmods.com! ;)

COG

Originally posted by Bogdan:

Here is the data file I use... ...it may help you :

CMBB units

Actually, that's what I used for CMBB mods at cmmods.com.

What I need is the best method for organizing the mods in CMAK when it comes out. Do I create a scen and load every unit and terrain BMP and see which ones change?

My goal is to have a CMAK mod section at cmmods.com ready to go shortly after CMAK is released.

Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!

COG

Another option are Voidhawk's Annotated Textures.

Just create another BMP folder with his "numbered" textures and switch it with the original when necessary.

Look here:

voidhawk.jpg

The printed numbers show the used BMP files. Additionally, the colors identfy the last digit in case the numbers are too difficult to read.

Marcus

[ September 23, 2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: mike8g ]

Originally posted by mike8g:

Another option are Voidhawk's Annotated Textures.

I think this is the route I'm gonna go. I've got PhotoShop and I'll use the script feature to make a macro that will open the file, paint it all one color and add the BMP file number to it.

I'm also looking at using it to take screen prints of every unit's info, use some OCR to read the text and populate a database with it.

My goal is to have a database that contains all the unit info along with the list of .BMP's are used for it. Then I can create views of the info by .BMP (to show which units are sharing), by Dates Available and by Name/Country.

I'm shooting for 4-6 weeks after release to have it up and running. That way, the modders will know exactly which .BMPs to mod and the grogs will have a plethera of unit info to browse though.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. They were all good.

COG