Need info on advance/assualt ops

Can you explain to me how in an assualt operation,I inflicted close to 3 times as many casualties on my opponent,KO'ed twice as many vehicles,KO'ed 32 guns,5 bunkers, 12 mortars,captured 11 men(he did shoot down like 3 of my planes)and made it to around 75% across the entire map,and suffered a tactical defeat.Are losses not counted *at all* in advance/assualt ops?I can understand if its this way for a assualt,but for advance also?Shouldnt advance count losses just like staitc does?

My other question is,why doesnt the map advance and setup zones get re-drawn after the final battle in a assualt op?You would of course not fight another battle,but you should get rewarded for your efforts in the final battle,right?

Thanks for any help smile.gif

[ June 07, 2004, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: no_one ]

Although the factors you mentioned do count for your final score, the amount of battles it takes your forces to reach the end of the map in assault or advance ops is also a major scoring factor.

The operation designer decides the number of battles for an assault or advance op and if you only made it 75% accross the map before the op ended it would likely be considered a defeat. This is why it is important for op designers to let you know in the breifing how many battles you have to reach the map end so you know how aggresive and possibly reckless you need to be with your forces. It is also helpful for the designer to inform the attacker of landmarks on the map which let the attacker know when they are nearing the far edge of the map.

As for your other question I would venture a guess that your battle lines were not redrawn because you had just finished the last battle allowed by the op designer and were out of time. Therfore the final score was based on the location of your frontline in the last battle.

smile.gif

[ June 06, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Emar ]

Originally posted by flamingknives:

What planes did you have? Those things can be ruinously expensive.

I have updated the final tallys.I had alot of planes,so I dont know which were shot down.It was in '43 and I would assume that some may have been stukas.

[ June 07, 2004, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: no_one ]

Originally posted by Emar:

Although the factors you mentioned do count for your final score, the amount of battles it takes your forces to reach the end of the map in assault or advance ops is also a major scoring factor.

The operation designer decides the number of battles for an assault or advance op and if you only made it 75% accross the map before the op ended it would likely be considered a defeat. This is why it is important for op designers to let you know in the breifing how many battles you have to reach the map end so you know how aggresive and possibly reckless you need to be with your forces. It is also helpful for the designer to inform the attacker of landmarks on the map which let the attacker know when they are nearing the far edge of the map.

As for your other question I would venture a guess that your battle lines were not redrawn because you had just finished the last battle allowed by the op designer and were out of time. Therfore the final score was based on the location of your frontline in the last battle.

smile.gif

Thank you for your response smile.gif

Yeah it was 7 battles long,so I guess thats it right there.

So if its the last batle of an assualt op,and you arent 100% sure you can make the end of the map,you shouldnt even bother I guess.

The idea is to do the best that you can. That may not mean winning, but trying to accomplish your objective with reasonable casualties.

So, I would "bother", personally because there's no reason to play if winning is the only pleasure.

This is not a flame, just an observation to enjoy the journey, even if you don't make it to the destination.

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

The idea is to do the best that you can. That may not mean winning, but trying to accomplish your objective with reasonable casualties.

So, I would "bother", personally because there's no reason to play if winning is the only pleasure.

This is not a flame, just an observation to enjoy the journey, even if you don't make it to the destination.

I for sure enjoyed the journey,I now fully apprecialte what both sides experienced at Kursk.The thing about not bothering though,this operation took alot of time,and effort,and that was with a very fast turn exchange rate.

I like to atleast have a chance to win in every engagement I play in.I invested so much time and effort in this one,and inflicted so much on my opponent,I was just shocked that I was still somehow able to lose by that much.Not that I mind losing.

This has been a tremendous learning experience,I just wish I didnt have to learn the hard way that I apparently dont like the concept behind the assualt/advance operation.No way is it ever a bad thing to inflict so much harm on the enemy.

To all new players out there:

Even when not in doubt,RTFM!

[ June 07, 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: no_one ]

Once you get used to the idea that assault and advance ops are about gaining ground they are not all so bad. On the opposite end of the tactical defeat you recieved for 75% of the map conquered I have reached the end of the map when playtesting some of my ops with decimated forces but ahead of schedule and recieved total victory. If the designer allows just enough time to get the job done then these ops can be a balanced and fun challenge.