well-matched heavy tanks?

My PBEM buddy and I just played a "tanks only" scenario that I designed with nice hilly steppe and a city in the middle. In order to faciliate an even match, both of us had Panthers and T34/85s since these tanks are available to the Germans and the Soviets. It worked out great!

I'm interested in coming up with another scenario along those lines but with more variety in tank types. I was hoping that I could get some of the heavier tanks on the battlefield, Tigers, IS3s and the like. Any suggestions on tanks for the Germans and the Soviets that would be well-matched against each other in terms of armor and penetration? I would also be interested in having more types of tanks: tank destroyers, assault guns, etc for each side and still try to keep the balance.

Since the terrain probably makes a difference, once again I'm envisioning a largely treeless steppe with lots of hills and valleys for good hulldown hunting, possibly at some distance.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Dr. Rosenrosen

[ August 13, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Rosenrosen ]

The IS-2 weights about the same as a Panther and if you stand next to one is actually pretty small, all things considered. The thicker armor is cast instead of rolled which decreases its resistance. The 122mm gun wasn't optimized for anti-tank performance.

All-in-all, the IS-2 Panther or Tiger I matchup is pretty good, with the more efficient crew setup going th the Germans. Against the King Tiger you need a better gun. SU-100.

In my humble opinion.

I've found the King Tiger and the JS-3 to be a pretty fair match up. Neither can KO the other from the front if they are both hull down. Both are rather slow yet don't bog very often.

For early war stuff, PZ35 and PZ38(A) vs the T-26 and BT-7 series is a pretty fair matchup at around 500 meters. However, the radioless Russian tank are a pain to command.