Advancing from cover to cover

Usually when I advance I put my men forward to some kind of cover like a crater or foxhole up to 80 metres in front of them. I considered that the advance command meant that the soldiers would find suitable places to bury their noses in the dirt.

In a previous thread (preventing early cease fire) Elmo commented that

taking advantage of every gully, dip, and low spot, on the map should allow you to make a careful advance without getting shot up or going low ammo
From this I would guess he means instead of laying one straight line of advance he puts down a series of points in spots that provide some sort of cover.

Is this, in fact, how others are using the advance command?

In fact from the quote you made it is unclear what is meant. AFAIK I have done both but always assumed that advance meant your men were naturally taking advantage of any cover [hollow or hillock] possible as they advanced.

If you are not time constrained then plottting their route so that you put them through more "useful" terrain would make sense. The downside is that advance is a tiring form of movement and the more way points you plot the longer they will take to cover the distance.

Waypoints are special, even if they change neither direction nor command.

Somebody recently posted his findings, anyone remembers where? I forgot what exactly happens, but it was along the lines of full spotting like standing, returning fire when the command themself wouldn't when they are at a waypoint.

There is also an unloading speciality, I think a waypoint would always allow infantry to get off when those' movement order was to a point with 15m of that waypoint, no matter whether that waypoint actually changes something.

Memory is fading, someone please tell me what threads that were.