Battles of the Finnish-Russian War

A mate of mine just finished a read on the Finnish War against the Soviets. He asked me if there are any good CM battles out there because it was such a brutal campaign. Field Marshall Mannerheim is his new hero.

Any suggestions? PBEM preferred.

PS I have gone back to CM1 and shelved CM2.I bet I'm not the only one.

Very minor typo there might stall you:

Look for

"Sergei"

A lot of his are not the Winter War, but instead

cover the Finnish front during WW2 proper....

One Winter War Op I know of is "The Freezing Point'...not by Sergei...I have it, but I don't think it's at the Scenario Depot...mail it to you

on request...

Cheers,

Matt

If you go to cmmods.com and look for something called Scenario Depot Salvage number 6 under designer name padivine, you'll find a little gem known as the Vuolsami Campaign. They show up in the zip with names like VC_1_blahbalah, VC_2_blahblah.

It's not really a campaign. The designer built a huge map, then cut it up into smaller sections for the individual battles. The briefings are really good, and if you play all 14 battles in order, you will not only be exhausted but you will have had a Combat Mission experience that comes very close to matching that Finnish Winter War movie that you can watch on YouTube.

This is a CM experience that is not to be missed. Just make sure you spend a little time installing the right mods first (lots of Gurra, mchlstrt, Uncle Tgt, and Andrew Fox). You should also try to find the realistic Finnish flag pack (can't remember if it's at CMMODS or Mark Gallear's site). I believe it was done by Sergei, and it features the Finnish War Flag (which is what gets used at army rallies and military funerals) as opposed to the very non-military civilian flag (which is what shows up in CMBB).

Many countries like the US only have one all-purpose flag, so this may leave some people scratching their heads. But many countries have more than one - e.g. the Germans with their Nazi Party/political flag and the Reichskriegflag (the one with a lot of crosses on it besides the swastika). The Finnish military flag is basically the same as the civilan flag, except that you have a red coat of arms with a rampant gold lion where the arms of the blue cross intersect -- much more dramatic to look at.

Originally posted by Antman:

Very minor typo there might stall you:

Look for

"Sergei"

AOne Winter War Op I know of is "The Freezing Point'...not by Sergei...I have it, but I don't think it's at the Scenario Depot...mail it to you

on request...

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt.

I'll gladly have the "Freezing Point".

I shall also check out the others suggetions.

Thanks all.