Standing Fast: German Defensive Doctrine on the Russian Front During World War II

Thanks.

The title and subject strikes me as a bit strange though:

'Standing Fast: German Defensive Doctrine on the Russian Front During World War II

Prewar to March 1943'

Surely the Germans did a lot more defending on the Eastern front after March 1943 than before it smile.gif

Very interesting but rather odd article.

Originally posted by Sgt AA:

But there was constantly russian counterattacks, so I think the german offensive was something like two step forwards and one step back.

Yes but the counterattacks were usually clumsy and disorganised, so German defensive tactics at that time can hardly be held up as decisive.

Besides the defenses after 43 were not that succesful..
Because the Russian attacks then were rather less clumsy and disorganised ;)

Honestly. I find it a vey wierd article. I read most, but not all of it, but from what I gleaned the author seems to say that US defensive doctrine could learn from the early German defensive tactics. Tactics which only really succeeded because the Soviets were (at that time) usually unrefined at offensive operations.

When the Soviets learned how to attack properly (as well as other factors) the initial German defensive tactics proved to be unsound, and so had to develop new ones afterward; yet the author is analysing the earlier tactics which evolved during WW1 and attempting to apply validity to a modern (at the time) US:Soviet confrontation.

Maybe I haven't read it properly or I'm just misinterpreting it but I think, although very interesting, it would have been more constructive to look at German defensive tactics after March 1943.

Originally posted by Ant:

Maybe I haven't read it properly or I'm just misinterpreting it but I think, although very interesting, it would have been more constructive to look at German defensive tactics after March 1943.

The article focusses with the necessity of defense while on the attack. Defense after losing the strategical initiative is another topic. No article has to deal with all topics.

You can learn from errors. Best if it ain't your errors. The article told me that

a) Even when on attack - be prepared to defend so you don't waste your offensive resources.

B) the top brass was over confident and ignored the necessity of sound defense tactics and was ill-prepared for defenses - Strategic goals were prioritized vs operational necessities.

c) Tanks can not defend themselves - attach infantry to them

d) Tanks should not wait for the infantry to kill the enemy tanks and then attack. The grunts need some help. Either the tanks or specialized TD.

e) You need enough infantry frontline strength

f) Have enough reserves ready.

g) Dig in

h) Don't give up strategic initiative if you don't have prepared positions.

i) It is best to attack operationally but defend tactically.

Yet it is not a Panzerfibel with a few easy lessons. The article presents facts. The reader has to read it carefully and think about it. In a discussion with "Patton-style" officers, it is a help for those who defend the more cautious approach.

Gruß

Joachim

BTW: Great link!

Yet it is not a Panzerfibel with a few easy lessons. The article presents facts. The reader has to read it carefully and think about it.
What? I had to read it and think about it properly? :eek: ..... smile.gif

Thanks Joachim. I made the mistake of trying to read it all when I probably didn't have enough time to do so and just 'skimmed' it.

Just another sad victim of our 'attention span deficient' society :(

Originally posted by Ant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Yet it is not a Panzerfibel with a few easy lessons. The article presents facts. The reader has to read it carefully and think about it.

What? I had to read it and think about it properly? :eek: ..... smile.gif

Thanks Joachim. I made the mistake of trying to read it all when I probably didn't have enough time to do so and just 'skimmed' it.

Just another sad victim of our 'attention span deficient' society :( </font>

"The German Army's defensive methods were derived from four basic principles: depth, maneuver, firepower, and counterattack. Through all the variations in defensive methods, these principles continued to guide German commanders in conducting their operations.

German units sought to create depth by every means possible, including the distribution of heavy weapons in depth, the construction of rearward defenses, and even the commitment of service troops to combat when necessary. As one German officer wrote after the war, "Depth of the friendly positions is always more important than density.""

I should try to keep this in mind when I create my next senario. I guess that a 6 km map is enough to give the russians a hard time ;)

Thanks for the tip, so much interesting stuff to read and so little time :(

My guess is that the general they refer to is Heinrici. It's only two possibly alternativs, right?

Heinrici, Colonel-General Gotthard (1886-1971):

33-37: Chief ? Section Ministry of War

37 : Head Replacement & Army Affairs Office Ministry of War

37-40: General Officer Commanding 16th Division

40 : Acting General Officer Commanding VII Corps

40 : In reserve

40 : Acting General Officer Commanding XII Corps

40-42: General Officer Commanding XXXXIII Corps

42-44: General Officer Commanding 4th Army, Eastern Front

44 : In reserve

44-45: General Officer Commanding 1st Panzer Army, Eastern Front

45 : Commander in Chief Army Group Weichsel