v103 early observations

StuGs are still uber. I noticed the comment about improved Russian APBC vs. face hardened varieties so I explored that first. It is undoubtedly a sensible tweak, but it is a tweak not a drastic revision if my first tests are anything to go by.

In 1942, Russian 76mm penetration numbers aren't high. Vs. a late F model StuG, the penetration rating rises from "none" to "rare" at 53m. In practice that means side shooting. With 1943 ammo the Russians are slightly better off. The "rare" range for a 1943 T-34 vs. an early G model StuG is 260m.

In a couple tests, I did not see a front penetration or partial vs. either model StuG, with either era Russian ammo. The late F had little difficulty against 3 1942 model T-34s. The early G did OK against 3, on an early hit and the vagaries of flank seeking and facing etc. It lost to 6 working as two platoon teams, taking 1 T-34 with it.

The best tactic remains fast moving to circle flanks with split teams, halting manually when the side of the StuG can be seen by a given team member, while plotting a new fast move order with modest delay (added if necessary) to give a "firing halt".

Somebody gets a flank or the StuG spends its time rotating instead of shooting, and eventually you close etc. You still need high odds and expected point losses equal the value of the StuG, at least. Closing to 250m may help in the 1943 era, but in practice I often either get a flank before then or the would be shooter dies.

The other change I looked at (eagerly) was cover panic issues. Infantry behavior under fire in the open is noticably improved.

When shot just after leaving cover they will drop and sneak back to it, but I've also seen them use "advance" instead when sneak was too slow for the distance. Farther from cover they go to ground and sit at first. When shot repeatedly they can still "cover panic". But it seems to happen deeper in the morale slide and makes more sense (e.g. shot at again while already at pinned, or after a brief actual "panic").

I have an old small "testbed" scenario for infantry open ground tactics vs. a lone HMG in a trench about 250m away, and tried it out with v103. With an overwatch force of 2 HMGs and a sharpshooter, previously a well led (+2 morale and command, +1 others) regular Russian 1943 platoon was able to assault the MG, with modest trouble and losses.

This means short advances, taking turns, getting close enough to ID the trench, MG area fire on the trench, get closer for a full ID, cover fire once that is available as half move to grenade range, etc. An elaborate "drill", not just a group move order and watching what happens.

They did it without casualties this time. I tried it with the right tactics again, but greens with a leader with only +1 bonus (in all but stealth), with one green sharpshooter as the only overwatch. They lost 1 man and took out the MG. 1 of the 6 kills was by the sharpshooter.

A single squad cover panicked to the rear on "advance" and went far enough back to avoid later fire. I halted him and used "move" to get him back in the fight without tiring him out. He was a little late but back in it by the end. Another that was at the time closest (100m) went through the pinned-stationary, pinned shot again, brief panic, sideways sneak routine. This was the squad that lost a man. I halted him and told him to fire back instead, and he did. The other two squads got "on line" to help him, drawing fire in the process and taking the heat off of him.

The HMG did not visibly duck under the sharpshooter fire, as often happens with regulars. But he fired 5 shots after full ID was achieved and had a kill at the end. I would guess he contributed significantly to the suppression of the MG. Most of that came from squad fire at 100m, though. That put the HMG heads-down. The bulk of the platoon then closed to scattered trees within grenade range of the trench and rapidly finished the job.

All in all, much less frustrating than cover panic has sometimes been in the past. A noticeable and extremely welcome "tac AI tweak".

I'm quite happy to have the new version. Thanks BTS...

Time to say I'm pretty happy with the 1.03 patch, too.

Gun behaviour (active and passive) seems to be fine. Bogging and immobilization after bogging are drastically improved. I see the TacAI not overwriting my orders at annoying rates. The paths plotted on traffic accidents or from touching unpassable terrain seem much improved.

The major nagging point left to me is the vehicle turn rates. There is no denial that the Tiger on history channel turns several times faster (in damp ground) than the CMBB one.

[ June 08, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]