Kv-85 or IS-1 vs IS-2

Well, all things being equal I'd tend to take the T34/85. It's not a heavy tank type, like the IS-1 or KV85, but those are heavy tanks that (like the IS-2) aren't quite heavy enough to survive the majority of late war German guns. If your heavy tank can be killed by a StugIII or PzIVG, then, I ask, what's the point? Short of the really well armored IS-3--which is a great buy with rarity turned off-- the Russian heavies don't really offer sufficient protection to serve the heavy tank role.

Which leaves us with the T34/85. This seems to me a pretty good package. It has the same pretty good gun as the KV85 & IS-1, plus its cheap, common, fast and agile. It can kill pretty much any German tank from the flank and some common models like the PzIV and Stug from the front. So, I'd generally tend to buy the IS-3 when I can get it and the T34/85 the rest of the time. The SU85M (uparmored from the regular SU85) is also worth looking at when not prohibited by rarity.

[ May 10, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

KV-85 equal to tiger!!??? Maybe in some pretty dream......

The best russian tank is IS1..... it´s "like" a T34/85 but with better armor. It can fight front to front to the german STUg and PzIV. The T34 will die if it´s 76 mm and lose the half of times if it´s 85 mm

After doing my KV-85 mod I'm mad for the beast. Good gun - best at long range. Better armor than the T-34, faster than a IS-2. And I believe (not entirely sure) available before the T-34-85?

At least in real life, the KV-85 was Russia's first 85mm gun tank and must've been quite a surprise. For accuracy sake, should only be played on the Southern Front, though.

As for purchasing the IS-3, that's problematic for a historical pureist since the IS-3 never saw combat. It also gets on my nerves that it doesn't 'look' like an IS-3... and the IS-1 doesn't 'look' like an IS-1 either. Eye-candy appeal has to be factored in.

[ May 12, 2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]