More scenario install problems

Hey everybody,

First, a quick intro...while I've been reading these forums for more than a year -- and learning a tremendous amount in the process -- this is my first post. I've played CMBB for two years now (all against AI...I know, I know) after growing up on years of Panzerblitz, SL/ASL, etc. I've continually been amazed at the creativity, intellect and enthusiasm of this community. Your dedication (obsession?) to CM has made a great simulation even better!

Oh, by the way, as an answer to the other long thread: I'm 43.

OK, on to the issue at hand...I know this topic has been addressed here before, but maybe I have a new observation that can be of some help. I've been adding some new scenarios to my collection from the Scenario Depot Salvage zipfiles stored at CMMods, and I've noticed that a small percentage of files do not correctly install (i.e., show up in the scenario selection screen). I'm patched to 1.03, I know how to extract files and where to put them, yada yada yada. A brief inspection of these offending files in a simple text editor reveals a wad of extra data at the top of the file, including a statement of the filename complete with .cme extension. Good scenarios do not have this extra information. Is this a sign of file corruption? I'm assuming that one needs to edit these files in a hex editor? Is there somebody out there that can help rescue these files? I'd be happy to provide more scenario-specific detail and could e-mail an offending file to anyone willing to take this on.

Thanks in advance for the help, and once again -- keep up the GREAT work!

Did the offending file come from a Scenario Depot Salvage zip file?

Could you pick one of these offending files, and mention exactly which zip file it came from, and what is its name?

I will look at my own set of these files and see if there is anything odd about them. If it turns out that there is something wrong, I will ask you for the list of files and try to update the zips at CMMODS.

How recent is your version of Winzip?

Is it possible that your download was somehow corrupted? [i.e. after you establish that the problem children all come from the same zip file, and after you download it again, is there still a problem?]

And no, if a virus on your system has somehow gotten attached to one of those files I most certainly don't want you sending it to me (and my aol e-mail address is down until next month at the very least anyway). When was the last time you did a full system virus scan with up-to-date definitions? [Don't answer that in public -- just be sure you know the answer and act accordingly]

This is a very serious issue since at the moment the cmmods posting is the only place people can get most of the Scenario Depot files.

For the record, I have never had the experience you are describing, and would really like you to point me at one of the files to see what you are talking about. There were a lot of files in that zip, and when I edited my scenario menu I was looking at files that showed up, not looking for files that didn't show up. I suspect there is something going on that is native to your system, but I'm reserving judgement until I've had a chance to investigate.

And just be sure that were on the same page, I'm not sure from reading your post if you're having trouble with scenarios that you downloaded from my uploading of the Scenario Depot Salvage files to CMMODS, or if you're talking about something else. I'll indulge in self-flagellation if you're having trouble with something that I did and its my fault. But if you're having trouble with someone else's upload to another site, I'll be happy to lend them my sack-cloth and lashes.

[ December 15, 2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

Philippe,

Thanks so much for fielding this one...and sorry it's taken awhile to reply.

Here's the scoop:

Yes, the offending file has come from a Scenario Depot Salvage file. Both of the individual problem scenarios I've encountered came from Salvage Zip#2, so I re-downloaded this file from CMMods and repeated the extraction and installation procedure with the same negative results.

The offending files are CSDT - B3 Bad Break and CSDT - B9 Death Trap.

I've tried both WinZip 9.0 and the native WinXP Zipfile management utility with the same results.

And yes, I think we're on the same page...I've downloaded the seven large Scenario Depot Salvage zipfiles, along with the eighth file containing the Excel database, from CMMods.

My apologies for bothering y'all if this is a unique problem on my end...but I want to try and solve a larger issue if it exists.

Thanks again, Philippe! Hope we can work this out.

Very curious. I have those two files, but not, apparently, from the Birdgunner collection. And several other files from that collection seem to be not showing up in the menu as well. In the case of your two missing files I have other versions of them that do show up, so they're not lost. But we need to figure out a way to determine what isn't showing up in the menu screens and why. More on this later.

Just tried loading one of the offending files in the CMBB Editor and got a very interesting message. If I were to believe what I'm being told, it would appear that the file I tried to open was saved on an earlier version of CMBB. I'm not entirely sure I really believe that, but it's a start. What's distressing, though, is that it means that there are unreadable files scattered throughout the Salvage collection (and the CMBO and CMAK ones as well).

I also compared a copy of one of the offending files that works to a copy that doesn't work. I wonder if that extra first line which seems to be causing the problem is an artifact of some kind of organizing program Birdgunner might have been using.

For anyone who may be wondering, if you relable your normal Scenario folder Scenarios_old and make a new one and only put three scenarios in it, it opens really quickly...

Hmmm...so it sounds like something is indeed a bit fishy. Did Birdgunner have a hand in assembling the CMBB salvage files? I've noticed that it's his name on the CMAK files over at CMMods but your name is on the CMBB files. So that has me a bit confused.

But at least I now know that it ain't just me...right, Philippe?

Thanks for working on this...keep me (and us) posted!

Hi guy's

Have been in contact with Philippe and have taken a look at my files. I have the same problem as stated here. Tried the same thing with the CMBB editor and I got a message stating I need an updated version. So I was wondering if there is a difference between the North American version and the CDV version of Software that may cause this fault.

I haven't used any kind of programs on the files other than to unzip files that were downloaded zipped and storing them in folders. I was playing with the file a bit and I got to the point that it shows up as a saved game, but it freezes when I try to load it.

Anyone been able to correct this issue yet???

Going to play with it some more!!!

Birdgunner

[ December 23, 2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: BirdGunner ]