test please - kazaa & winmx

Originally posted by Pud:

The trouble with usenet, edonkey and others is that you act as a server for a file, the speed of that files transfers depends on your connection, period. With winmx and kazaa you file is added to others to "compile" into a single download and hence the download for the user is substantially faster. I will install winmx and have a go with that as well.

That is the drawback. I think this would only really be worth doing in the form of a mod database with it's own server and a group of people always on with large collections of mods. Given how fast I can download a 700 MB file on eDonkey (usually less then 24hrs), starting with only one user sharing, I don't think it would be difficult to share mods, although a dedicated server would be necessary to making it all go quickly and smoothly.

On the other hand, I've never had trouble getting mods through the current distribution system, and no one seems to be moaning about server costs, which is the main reason to do something like this.

For anybody trying WinMx....

Here are a few HASH numbers for some of the mods im sharing....

cmbb MrN BA CMMOS HASH>40c9bd7b3495517f26f2e5b224cd1615-2108866

cmbb MrN KV CMMOS HASH>d4121aa6792df87b20a8415e0a6f5cac-1834819

How to use:

Copy the whole of the hash string (incl HASH>...) and paste it into the 'bottom' of the two winmx search boxes.

Ensure you have 'any file/bitrate' and 'any connection' selected and hit the search button.

This will make winmx search for matching filename and filesize.

Still may not find any results until we manage to get more sharing.

Winmx chat room still open 'COMBAT MISSION MOD ROOM'. I'll be logged in but maybe not at the PC. Just right click on username and browse files...then download.

Lou2000

Im back online again but the chat room aint there. This p2p idea doesnt seem to be working :confused:

Lou2000, whats you winmx username?

[edit - prob doesnt help im in australia and so im awake when you're not and vice versa]

[ January 31, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Pud ]

[QB] Im back online again but the chat room aint there. This p2p idea doesnt seem to be working :confused:

When I log onto kazaa there's generally 3-4 million users and over 1/2 a billion files. If I understand how kazaa (and most of the p2p schemes) work not all those files/users are scanned when you do a search. Availability is closely related to proliferation. Unless we get enough people sharing it'll be very, very difficult to ever see the CMBB stuff. How many is enough? No freakin' idea.

Im back online again but the chat room aint there. This p2p idea doesnt seem to be working :confused:

Lou2000, whats you winmx username?

[edit - prob doesnt help im in australia and so im awake when you're not and vice versa]

Pud (and others)

Sorry I lost my connection over night ..... the chat room is back up....I wont be at my PC all day but the room will be left active. If im not there just browse files and join

Im on Winmx and Kazaa as Lou2000

I think we could have a way to share using Winmx.

It looks like Pud entered the chat room I created...sorry I was away in town at the time.

If Pud can find the room in Australia then there is no reason why anybody should have any problem entering the room and then sharing files is no problem at all.

If we use a WinMX room as a central meeting place then geographic location shouldnt be a problem ....

Kohler (Finland) has just been in and like me he is staying logged into the room for now so both our files are available to share.

I can have the room up and running most days ... even if im not there to chat .... though if we can agree on a room name then if ever I am down (and it does happen) somebody else can create it with the same name ... that way we all know what room we are looking for amongst all junk !

It is currently up as 'COMBAT MISSION MOD ROOM'.

The ability to talk in real time may also be a good way to setup CM TCP/IP games.

However it will only be of use if more people use it ..... there wouldnt be much point in keeping a room active for only 3 or 4 people.

We'll see given a bit of time !

Lou2000

OK a couple of days on and in theory this could work .... BUT..........

in practice kazaa turns up too few results and there are not enough people using Winmx to make the 'meeting room' worth while.

The room did work and whilst i had it up it could be found my people in Australia and Finland ... so anybody should be able to find it easy enough.

The room is up now ... but i'll probably drop it in another 24 hours. I have some of the larger (10mb+) mods from the cmmod database downloaded and available if anybody wanted them..... and just for info cozog gave his approval to leech files from his site and maybe save him a bit of bandwidth loading on his site .... and I have contacted most of the mod authors ... (a couple still to do) ...those that have been contacted have all given permission.

I dont really know if this is worth persuing :(

Lou2000

Originally posted by Lou2000:

OK a couple of days on and in theory this could work .... BUT..........

in practice kazaa turns up too few results and there are not enough people using Winmx to make the 'meeting room' worth while.

The room did work and whilst i had it up it could be found my people in Australia and Finland ... so anybody should be able to find it easy enough.

The room is up now ... but i'll probably drop it in another 24 hours. I have some of the larger (10mb+) mods from the cmmod database downloaded and available if anybody wanted them..... and just for info cozog gave his approval to leech files from his site and maybe save him a bit of bandwidth loading on his site .... and I have contacted most of the mod authors ... (a couple still to do) ...those that have been contacted have all given permission.

I dont really know if this is worth persuing :(

Lou2000

I think it is definitely worth pursuing. As Pud pointed out to me in an email, the filesharing system will only take off when the Mod Database dies through having absorbed all the world's bandwidth. Before that time, it would be nice to develop a standard mod format and so on so that when we do eventually lose the database the filesharing scheme is available.

Sadly, I suck with my 56k modem so I am never going to be much good for downloading, but I will try. smile.gif

Originally posted by Soddball:

I think it is definitely worth pursuing. As Pud pointed out to me in an email, the filesharing system will only take off when the Mod Database dies through having absorbed all the world's bandwidth. Before that time, it would be nice to develop a standard mod format and so on so that when we do eventually lose the database the filesharing scheme is available.

Sadly, I suck with my 56k modem so I am never going to be much good for downloading, but I will try. smile.gif

Well although we only managed to link up with 2 or 3 people in the room the winmx method should work. Unlike just searching alone (which doesnt really work) with the addition of the chat room there is a place where people can meet and once in the room it is easy just to browse another users files and enter their download Q.

We have already shown that location doesnt matter ... Pud found the room without any problem from Oz.

It would be nice to think that the mod database wont ever die, its still the best place to release new mods into the CM community. Actually with enough users fileshare could help it survive, by taking some of the strain from cozog's bandwidth. Once the mods start to circulate they will show up on searches without the need for a chat room.

As for the 56k modem issue .... you'll have very little problem. Any file you start to download can be resumed next time you connect....or from another users copy of the same file, and as the downloads are coming from different sources you should get somewhere near your max download speed.

As i've mentioned before, the chat rooms could be a good place for people to engineer a tcp/ip game...allowing realtime chat during the setup.

If anybody does find the COMBAT MISSION MODS & CHAT room you'll find me logged in, but dont be suprised if i dont answer ...... i have more to do that sit and watch the screen just in case somebody turns up :D

Does anybody know if any of the 'instant messenger' type programs allow filesharing and dedicated chat rooms ? That maybe an easier route as more people are likely to have a suitable program.

Lou2000

Winmx is certainly something to keep in mind if the "end of the world as we know it" happens and the database goes offline. It appears the best option.

Mod naming format - I somehow doubt this will happen, I have been asking for this for some time and it just doesnt seem to happen (no offence intended to the modders). I have now taken to renaming all mods to the following format, makes it easy to see what the mod is and who did it when looking at a directory with 60+ files in it.

unit-year-weather-modder.zip (eg PzIIIL(early)-winter-frednurke.zip.

Yes, unfortunately by renaming the file it also means it can not be shared easily on kazaa/winmx but the advantage to me outweighs that disadvantage.

Originally posted by Malakovski:

Have a look here for a group that has done this very successfully. They are sharing something like 200 TV episodes @ 700 MB each, with NO server costs.

I downloaded eDonkey and tried out DAP yesterday. Very impressive setup! With 200 participants - as opposed to Kazaa's 4,000,000 - I regularly had download speeds ~2x as high as those I generally get from Kazaa. And, of course, the DAP-available files were quickly and easily located.

Originally posted by Makes The Jelly Judder:

You could set your PC's to accept anonymous ftp logins and then post your ip addresses. Don't know what options you get on windows (If standard windows installs allow ftp, winxp should though?) but you should be able to make just one directory available and read only.

Or is this too scary?

I would *NEVER* recommend anyone doing this with a WinXX box. Way too many security holes for hackers to get in to. You could do it with a locked down Linux box though.

But you'll still have the same bandwidth/maintenance limitations...

COG