Great Patriotic War history

Just curious - has anyone here read the official Soviet history of the war?

I used to have the set, but I sold it when I moved a dozen years back, and now wish I'd kept it. Anyone know of a good source to get a set these days? My only online Russian source told me a lot of the Soviet books were burned as fuel after glasnost.

Ian

Ian,

I checked abebooks.com and saw there are two versions, one from 1939-1945 (12 vol.) and one from 1941-1945 (6 vol.). The former costs $875 or $250, the latter, $375 or $344.50. Yikes! The authors to look up are A.A.Grechko and P.N.Pospelov.

Try here

"001418] Pospelov, P. N. (editor). Official Soviet (Russian) History of World War II or the Great Patriotic War (6 Volumes + Map Supplement) (IIstoria Velikoi Otechestvenoi Voeni Sovetskogo Soyuza 1941-1945). Moscow, Russia: Military Publishing House, 1961. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. Hard Cover. Very Good(-) / No Jacket. Rare complete 6 Volume set with additional separate map supplement. Each volume has 700-800 pages with numerous photos and color maps/illustrations. Many color fold-out battle maps throughout. This is the first official Russian history of World War II. Russian text. Light underlining - several volumes. Light wear - several volumes. Add $9.50 to shipping charge.

$345.00"

Cheers,

Jason