How do you kill a pillbox from behind?

I am playing a PBEM QB as the russian and have gotten behind my opponent's 88mm pillbox. I have tried to attack it for several turns and knock it out, but no luck.

The first problem I have is I have a T34 M43 about twelve meters behind it. For orders I tell the T34 to fire at the pillbox, the information when I target reads "Hit: 99%, Kill:Fair" so I target it and finish my turn. However, twice in a row, the first thing that happens on the video replay is the T34 drops the pillbox as a target, does not select a new target (there are none in sight) and sits there for the rest of the turn doing nothing: it never fires a shot. I noticed as the T34 approached from the side several turns before that if I targeted the pillbox, I got a hit chance, but no kill chance indicated in the targetting info, so I assumed that now that the T34 is behind it is firing at an entrance or such.

The second problem is I don't seem to know what the right command is to get my infantry to successfully attack. I use "assault" and select the pillbox and get "follow vehicle" on the target. OK, I guess its a kind of vehicle, but even that infantry attacking for two turns from behind have not been able to do anything. They shoot, but nothing seems to happen.

This will all be moot soon when my flamethrower team gets into position, but they move slow, and I was hoping to "resolve" the pillbox before the team hauled their slow ass over to the action.

Any insight is appreciated.

Originally posted by FEBA:

The first problem I have is I have a T34 M43 about twelve meters behind it.

It's possible that the tank thinks it is too close. There might be quite a backblast if it hit a solid object like a pillbox from twelve meters away. Vehicles and guns HAVE killed themselves by targeting too close. Try backing up a bit and retargeting.

The second problem is I don't seem to know what the right command is to get my infantry to successfully attack. I use "assault" and select the pillbox and get "follow vehicle" on the target. OK, I guess its a kind of vehicle, but even that infantry attacking for two turns from behind have not been able to do anything. They shoot, but nothing seems to happen.

Infantry will use demo charges if they have them. Without demo charges or similar heavy stuff (like grenade bundles, etc.), it could indeed take several turns to kill the PB from behind, but they'll get it eventually. Don't "advance" or move. Just target the PB and fire. You can also work around the side and throw grenades through the slit.

Plain infantry wants to be pretty close to the PB, but if you manage to move your flamethrower into place, don't let it get in too close. It probably won't fire either if it's 12m away. 25 m might be more comfortable.

[ January 15, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

I wonder if that "fair" kill rating is actually for a slit penetration?

'cos I don't think the 76 on a T34 is ever going to penetrat the concrete of a 88mm PB!

In which case you need to apprach the PB from the side - the gun inside it has a limited traverse and if you can hit the firing slit from outside that traverse then you're in!

[ January 15, 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]