Scenario ....

Is there a way to increase the speed of the movie loading period? I've got a pretty fast system ( P4, 2.0 GHz, 256 MB Ram - not exactly an old clunker - yet ). Last night I tried out " Ferdinand Skirmish ". It was a good scenario however the movies took forever to load; at one point my screen saver came on just as the movie was finished loading. I had to give up as I just don't want to spend 3-4 years playing one game. This is a shame too as this scenario is pretty good ( not a lot of spelling errors in the briefing, etc. ).

The bigger scenarios will put the hurt on almost any current system, and the movie files are the biggest ones of course. Maybe turn down some of the graphic options during the previous turns so they are not saved in the file might help (ie Trees off, weather off, etc).

What do you mean by "loading the movie"?

- Do you mean retreiving a PBEM file?

Then the solution is to get a faster internet connection.

- Do you mean when you start a battle and it says "Downloading 3D graphics"?

Then you could speed it up by playing smaller scenarios, use low res textures, get a faster HDD or a faster main board (data bus).

- Or do you, as I'd presume, mean when the turn is "crunched" (all calculations are done)?

That can be sped up by keeping firefights to a minimum, AT fire is the worst hog on the CPU. Another option is to turn the sound off before you press GO after giving orders, since the sound use CPU cycles as well.

Cheers

Olle

What I mean by " loading the movie " is when all the numbers are crunched & the AI has figured out it's next move - when the little blue line is progressing along beneath the scenario's name. Think I'll stick to small/medium/large scenarios: it's easier that way & I won't get covered in dust & cobwebs by the time the next turn rolls around.

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

Is there a way to increase the speed of the movie loading period? I've got a pretty fast system ( P4, 2.0 GHz, 256 MB Ram - not exactly an old clunker - yet ). Last night I tried out " Ferdinand Skirmish ". It was a good scenario however the movies took forever to load; at one point my screen saver came on just as the movie was finished loading. I had to give up as I just don't want to spend 3-4 years playing one game. This is a shame too as this scenario is pretty good ( not a lot of spelling errors in the briefing, etc. ).

You may want to get your system performance checked. My system has a slightly slower processor than yours, and is otherwise similar. I have not noticed drastically long turn calculation times, even in large scenarios with a lot of armor fights going on. I think the longest I've seen would be about a minute, and most turn calulations on my system are significantly shorter.

Cheers,

YD