Map question

I am curious if there is any tutorial for making maps. I have been for a week trying to make one with a river crossing. The bridges can never measure up however. No matter the combination I have set the surrounding elevation and or the water elevation, when I pop to 3-d to look at the map, the bridge begin/ends in the air, or else seems to cut thru a hill with part sticking out the other side when I tried to compensate. Thanks in advance if anyone knows a trick for this, or where to find basic directions for the map-editing.

Originally posted by abneo3sierra:

..I have been for a week trying to make one with a river crossing...

The small and middle bridges need an elevation change of +2 to fit into the map, the large bridge needs one of +4.

So, on a normal map (height 7) you simple set the river to height 5 and smal and medium bridges placed over the river will fit with the surrounding higher terrain. For the large bridges you either have to use lower height for the river or adjust the height of the surrounding river banks accordingly.

cmbridgeswr3.jpg