To MODders: Subtitles

Hello MODers

I wonder how good are you in MOD on CMBB that can add Subtitles or caption to screen to readout same time when sound playing? It will be big help to deaf players and other people who want sound mute to aviod wake wives up while playing CMBB into late night. Please let me know if possbile. Thank you.

Cheers

Snowleopard

Mods can only change the contents of a particular file that already exists. So a mod can change how something looks by replacing a visual texture with something else, or change how something sounds by replacing one sound file with another. The closest I've ever seen to what you've described is a Pop Art explosion mod where the word "Bang!" was written across the middle of the burst.

My downstairs neighbor is hyper-sensitive to noise, so I've learned to play everything with headphones on. Actually, a good set of headphones gives you better quality sound than incredibly expensive speakers, so it is a more than acceptable compromise.

As for disturbing the wife... Well, based on my experience of having been married once, the best way to ensure that your gaming does not disturb your wife is to point out that the only alternative to Combat Mission is sex. She'll be conspicuously asleep in no time.

Yes, I can see some of caption come out "pin" or "panic" or "knockout" however I read something that it have lot more sound that don't come in caption. Since I am deaf so I will be happy if someone can change sound into words and upload for us to download as anyone who did help will get credit for his noble action. Thank you for reply this one.

For what its worth, several people play with the sound turned off. You don't miss that much, but there is a little information that is hinted at from time to time that it is helpful (though not absolutely necessary to know about).

If you play without sound and have to depend entirely on sight, what you might want to do is to install Juju's Hollywood explosions. I think they're the brightest out there, and they'll give you a good visual cue for when a gun fires or a shell bursts.

The other mod you should take a look at is the tracer mod. There's no tell-tale explosive burst when small arms are fired, but there are a few tracer bullets. So what you'll want is the brightest and most contrasting tracers available. Captain Wacky did a mod of some really garish tracers, and one of these may be just what you need.

Both of these mods can be found at CMMODS.

The only other thing that I can think of is that when bullets strike the ground they sometime cause little tufts of dirt to fly around. I'm not sure which bmp it is that is affected (two or three very small ones, I think). But it might help if the flying tufts were tinged in extreme colors: not realistic, but they would call attention to themselves. That mod hasn't been done yet, and may not be worth doing if you don't play at a low enough level to notice it anyway (only really shows up when you have the camera at Level 1 -- modding it might make it visible to Level 3, but only if you were already looking for it). Easy enough to do. If you're interested I'll look into it.

That's great but hard to do in huge map as play operation as lookout for tracer bullets in distant will be hard to spot as will have to play over and over as look for line of tracer bullets. Okay I will check over MOD Database look for MOD of gunfire and other stuff as what your message said. Thank you again. I hope it is not "star war" laserfire effect MOD. I am sure it will not allow on online playing LOL

Originally posted by Philippe:

The only other thing that I can think of is that when bullets strike the ground they sometime cause little tufts of dirt to fly around. I'm not sure which bmp it is that is affected (two or three very small ones, I think).

AFAIK (please correct me if I'm wrong), those tufts are hardcoded and then unmoddable, like the shell splinters :(

You may be right. There are three or four clods of dirt, but I think they may only get used in big explosions. I was probably confused when I wrote that because I had recently been looking at grass doodads (don't ask).

Testing the clods is simple -- just paint them some outlandish color and see what happens. I think what goes flying around when bullets hit the dirt is too small to be the clod bmp's.